PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this Sebae?

reefpimp#1
03/03/2007, 04:48 PM
This sebae has clear tentacles with rings all over them instead of a solid color. the outside has a brownish hue and the inside has a greenish hue. It looks a little bleached to me but do you think it can be saved?
Would you buy it?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/76313mini-sebae_bmp.jpg

redvipe2010
03/03/2007, 04:57 PM
I would not buy that. However, I have never tried to save a Sebae. Maybe others have and can comment. Do you have experience with them? And are you getting it at a super reduced price?

reefpimp#1
03/03/2007, 05:05 PM
$25, I havent had a sebae before but tank params are great i got lots of flow and 2-400watt 14k MHs

redvipe2010
03/03/2007, 05:10 PM
$25 still sounds pretty high to me considering you may end up with nothing.

With BTAs I would say it has a definate chance of survival. BTA's are the hardiest of the anemones though.

rogart
03/03/2007, 05:12 PM
Putting the thing into 800MH will truely shock it. The one up front is way too bleached the back two might stand a chance at survivial. I kept a bleached seabae alive for 8mo through feeding before it litterally disappeared overnight, no idea what happened, don't think it jumped out :). In the back looks like an LTA and a BTA or healthy seabae. I would try for the LTA with your lighting.

If you are dead set on it, have it fed and go back later to check that it kept the food down if yes, good luck, if not save your money.

redvipe2010
03/03/2007, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9385603#post9385603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rogart
Putting the thing into 800MH will truely shock it.

I agree, but it can be acclimated to the lighting using some type of screen. What size tank would you be putting it in?

Overall, I'm still against purchasing it.

StunnaShadez
03/04/2007, 12:05 AM
it is VERY difficult to try and nurse a bleached sebae back to health

Freed
03/04/2007, 12:24 AM
Is that at Broadway? I wouldn't risk it and at least make sure the owner knows it is bleached and not healthy.

reefpimp#1
03/04/2007, 12:27 AM
tank is a 150. how are LTA's with flow, am i correct in saying they dont like alot. I may try one but i'll have to adjust my flow so it can have a mellow area.

Freed
03/04/2007, 05:35 AM
May walk around on you and sting some of your corals so keep an eye on it so you can move your frags here and there at a moments notice.

catfish63
03/04/2007, 03:40 PM
buy the one in the back of your picture that is brown and not bleached out, looks like the ones i saw at pet warehouse yesterday,i bought a seabe from there 2 years ago and it's doing great.i have a pink skunk clown hosting mine.

GSMguy
03/04/2007, 04:05 PM
LTA likes flow

raoul
03/05/2007, 10:42 AM
We got a crispa/sebae in that condition, a little worse probably - there was no brown only white with purple tips. We were able to nurse it back to health.

Not only is this one bleached, but very very hungry. The tents are much longer in healthy specimens.

Good lighting (which you have, but acclimate as suggested above) for the zoox., feedings because it's starving, and stability will be very helpful.

I would expect it to roll around the tank (not neccessarily walk) and probably be face down at times. We had to corral ours with rock to keep it from blowing all over the tank, only then did it begin eating and attaching. We also started out with mysis shrimp so we didn't overwhelm it with food and then after a week or two moved on to meatier/bigger foods (but not too big).

Given the TLC that it needs, and even with all of that it still may not survive, I think $25 is too much. I'm not saying don't give it a try, but that's just too much to pay for a nem that's in this condition. If they do trades, maybe you can take frags of things you have too much of in and lower the price that way.

Forgot to mention, ours was about baseball size when we got it, now it's salad to dinner plate size, we've had it for a little over 2 years now, and it's grown so much it almost has its own tank.

reefpimp#1
03/05/2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I would like a sebae. So i think I'll just keep my eyes open for a healthy one,but honestly I have never seen a healthy sebae around here. They are always white with short tentacles. I thought thats what they were supposed to look like before i got on Reef Central.

The one in the back of the picture was brown with green tips, I thought it was a buble but the said it was sebae. I have never seen a sebae with green tips only purple. But then again I have never seen a healthy sebae either.

catfish63
Do I know you? I should. I like to know Reefers around the area. Maybe we could do some tank view swapping. I like to see other peoples setups.

And no in was not at Broadway it was Pet Warehouse.

raoul
03/05/2007, 08:49 PM
Green tips is another color morph, it's not as common as the purple tips, there's 2 or three people on RC that have one.

I don't think I've seen any healthy ones here in Kansas City, the trick is finding the healthiest one. I would say that if the green tipped one was not white, it might be worth a shot, as long as everything else is in order.