PDA

View Full Version : Need help with return line and pump

hookedonsalt
03/03/2007, 05:49 PM
I'm putting together a 65 gal reef tank, I am working on my return line and pump trying to get enough flow into my tank.
I have a AGA Megaflow 65 gal tank, with that comes a 3/4" return bulkhead. So I ran 3/4" line from my return pump all the way to the 2-3/4" loc line nozzles. My return pump is a quiet one 5000 rated at around 1330 GPH.
I used 45's instead of 90's from the pump to the bulkhead, there are 2 45's there and around 1.5 feet of piping. From the bulkhead up I ran the line up to the top of the overflow and installed a tee fitting, the ran it out and put a 90 on each corner. I installed the 3/4" loc line fittings there.
With the tank full and the pump running the sump levels are perfect, the overflow is working perfect as well, all is quiet and smooth flowing. The loc line nozzles though do not feel like there is a lot of flow coming from them. I was hoping that with the quiet one pump I would not need a closed loop or any additional power heads in the tank. I know I do not have enough flow though, does anyone know if I reduced my return line down to 1/2" instead of 3/4" if that will increase flow in the tank? Or should I look into a larger pump?
I really want a clean tank without any additional hardware in it.
Im confused so far and hoping that someone has experienced what I am dealing with and found a fix to the problem.
Thanks in advance for any ideas, fixes you may have or can suggest.

silverwolf72
03/03/2007, 07:43 PM
Use the head loss calculator on the front page. The 3/4 piping is going to limit you on how much flow you can put threw it. Also you should try to keep the flow threw your sump to around 3 to 5x volume of tank, this will keep the noise down and allow all the equipment down there have time to do there job. Having another source of flow will also ensure that if one pump dies your tank you still have water motion till it gets repaired.

gahlenfr
03/03/2007, 08:09 PM
I second what silverwolf72 said about a second source. I would use a seio or tunze on a UPS/Battery backup of some sort. You have way to much invested to be cheap about these things!

GreenSarco
03/03/2007, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure what locline nozzle you're using, but if you change the nozzle you will get different types of velocity or flow. The problem with the Quiet One is it's not a pressure rated pump.

JTEAGUE
03/03/2007, 08:52 PM
I would think that reducing the return line form 3/4" to 1"2 would be less flow. You want to go the other way from 3/4" to 1".

hookedonsalt
03/05/2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all your input. I think I am going to be stuck with having a powerhead in my display tank after all.
I was hoping to have enough flow to not have to do that.
Well in time I will change out the quiet one and get a bigger pump, hopefully that will eliminate the need for a power head.