PDA

View Full Version : How Tough are Florida Rics?

The Saltwater Kid
03/03/2007, 06:29 PM
Can they withstand a sting from another coral? I just moved my Ric rock up towards the top of my tank to see if they like being closer to the light and I'll be a son of a gun if my darn Brain coral didn't reach out with one of his long tentacles and attach to the tip of my beautiful orang ric. I moved the Brain but he didn't want to relinquish his hold and the tentacle snapped off...still attached to the lip of my ric. I got a pair of tweezers and gently pulled the rest of the tentacle off my ric. Will this do any permanent damage?

The Saltwater Kid
03/04/2007, 11:28 AM
anybody???

FLricordia
03/04/2007, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9386058#post9386058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
Can they withstand a sting from another coral? I just moved my Ric rock up towards the top of my tank to see if they like being closer to the light and I'll be a son of a gun if my darn Brain coral didn't reach out with one of his long tentacles and attach to the tip of my beautiful orang ric. I moved the Brain but he didn't want to relinquish his hold and the tentacle snapped off...still attached to the lip of my ric. I got a pair of tweezers and gently pulled the rest of the tentacle off my ric. Will this do any permanent damage?
No. Even some zoas can damage them. usually won't kill them as they will retract away, but can damage tissue and cause stunted growth for a time.

dew2loud1
03/05/2007, 04:16 PM
make sure you keep a far enough distance away from any type of agressive coral. Even zoos will rage chemical warfare.

JPF
03/07/2007, 10:01 AM
Here is my "Just how tough are they anecdote". On January 26, 2004 we had a huge ice storm. Power was lost for five days. My reef tank's temp plunged to 46 degrees by the third day. The cold coupled with no flow, little air exchange and massive pollution from animal die off in the tank separated the strong from the weak. My Florida Ricordias along with the other Caribbean species made it. The rest rotted. I still have those ricordia and they are better than ever.

Jim

chrisstie
03/07/2007, 10:46 AM
I had temporarily needed to put an echino frag in my little tank that has shrooms in it. Low and behold one morning I walk down and there's a sweeper tentacle coming from the echino frag that had like stuck to one of my teal florida rics and drug it over and was like trying to eat it - not just sting it.

That shroom is *still* attempting a recovery and hasn't gone by the wayside yet but its not growing back the way it would,say, if you fragged it. Its just barely slowly coming back

Always leave a good space between all corals I think.. rics and yumas can touch but i wouldn't chance it with much else unless its already harmoniously on a multi frag rock

The Saltwater Kid
03/08/2007, 08:55 AM
I have my ric rock on the top of my tank now, they look really good. The only reservation I have is that there is a Hammer coral down below about 3 or 4 inches. I have never seen the Hammer sweepers out, not even in the middle of the night (it shrinks right up to just two tiny balls) but am wondering if this is too close? I don't know where else to put them though as this the closest place to the light. Should i just chance with them being where they are or would you move them to a lower place in the tank with no other harmful corals around?

The Saltwater Kid
03/08/2007, 09:04 PM
bump