PDA

View Full Version : Sand and Rock placment

iflipsidei
03/03/2007, 08:07 PM
So im about 1 week away from filling my tank. My question is should i put the rock on the glass then fill in with sand or should i put in the sand then add rock on top. OR even put some of that egg crate down and put it on top of that then put the sand on top of that.

Im going to have a few gobies that dig so i dont want to avalanches.

jdm01
03/03/2007, 08:24 PM
i would put the rock in first and then the sand. If you do it the other way, you will get the avalanche you are looking to avoid. If you are going to use eggcrate, pvc, etc... to position you lr, put that in first. The sand should be last to go in. it will cause a sand storm, but it only lasts a few days and then things begin to settle down.

WaterKeeper
03/03/2007, 08:29 PM
You're paying good money for that LR so why bury it? Either set it up on some base rock or use eggcrate or PVC pipe to place it just a little below the top of the sand.

iflipsidei
03/03/2007, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9386870#post9386870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
You're paying good money for that LR so why bury it? Either set it up on some base rock or use eggcrate or PVC pipe to place it just a little below the top of the sand.

good point

so i am also wondering about the tank, should i fill it up with all my RO/DI water and check for leaks then drain it and mix the salt in some barrles then put in my rock and sand then throw the salt water back in?