PDA

View Full Version : Question for PC fans to cool canopy

Jasonincuritiba
03/04/2007, 12:47 AM
Those of you who use pc fans on their canopies, what power supply or AC to DC inverter do you use?

kevin95695
03/04/2007, 07:42 AM
I bought a little variable voltage unit at walmart for $15. It's in the electronics section and it's meant to be a replacement for chargers, personal electronics, etc. It's got a little switch that clicks from 3v to 12v. I have x3 80mm fans wired to mine that will spin beginning at 4.5v setting. For safety, I wired an in-line fuse to the hot wire. If you want to do it on the cheap: Most thrift stores have loads of orphaned transformers they'll sell for cheap. Just check the ouput on the sticker. Last one I picked up was for $1.

If you burn your house down, you don't know me.

kfowler
03/04/2007, 07:45 AM
I, Kevin, did the exact same thing as Kevin above. :) Has worked perfect.

mcox33
03/04/2007, 07:55 AM
I used a cheap one I picked up at harbor freight. $4.00 bet The $24.00 at R Shack. I am running 4 x 120mm variable speed fans with one. The other is running 4 x 60mm fans. Another is running pc feet lights as moonlights. And still another is running windshield wiper lights as moonlights. I am thinking of adding some more fans to the 120mm setup. I know that the one power supply /transformer will run 4 more as I use that one to test the 4 that went in the other canopy. I am considering putting 3 or 4 80mm fans accross the back of the canopy that is running MH lights. 80mm fans are cheap on line. And I have the hole saw for that size vs the 120mm. Had a really hard time finding a hole saw for those. Finally my brother in law managed to borrow one and came by and helped cut my holes for the fans.

Jasonincuritiba
03/04/2007, 02:49 PM
thanks for the help

surfjeepzx
03/04/2007, 03:14 PM
I've been using the same ex-cellphone transformers for over 8 years without issue. You'd be surprised how many people have them hanging around in the spare junk drawer in the kitchen. Just ask a few friends and I'll bet you'll find some for free.

Just make sure they're 12volts

J. Montgomery
03/04/2007, 03:47 PM
I also chose a power transformer from Wal-Mart that has the variable voltage switch. I enjoy the flexibility of fan speed.