PDA

View Full Version : Leveling New Tank: Confused

moonyguy
03/04/2007, 01:08 AM
My new 75 gallon AGA RR tank and stand arrived today. I was upset to see that the top of the stand is not flat. So the tank rests perfectly fine on front left and back right ends but the other two ends have gaps. They are wide enough to slip a credit card through. I jumped the gun and got some foam and ply wood. I have 1/4 inch ply on the tank with 1/2 inch pink foam on top of it and the tank is sitting on top. There is still some gap but its not as much.
I read archives here and found out that its a bad idea to use foam on glass tanks with rim because the foam would ultimately push against the glass bottom.
At this point returning and getting a new stand is not possible so any idea what I can do?
I am open to suggestions.
Thanks

benray4fun
03/04/2007, 01:33 AM
Sounds like a badly manufactured stand... We can always schimmy the bottom of the stand against the floor to level as needed, but I don't see how you're gonna support the weight of a 75 gallon fully loaded if you have to schimmy the top of the stand where the tank is supposed to sit. If you tried to schimmy the top of the stand you could have a real disaster waiting to happen..."i'd seriously consider another stand even if I had to send it back or have another one made."

I know you're disappointed, but you could be out of a living room, apartment or house for months, if not, permanently.

Seriously, consult the manufacturer or someone "QUALIFIED" in aquarium furniture. That's 450 pounds (water alone) that could cause debilitating injuries and if a small child, possibly death..."GET IT RIGHT".
You can't afford to get this one wrong...I wouldn't have posted if I didn't feel strongly about it..."BE SAFE!"

JohnnyM2
03/04/2007, 01:33 AM
You need to shim the tank with something that won't compress. First make sure your stand is level in both dimensions and sits flat on the floor. Shim the bottom of the stand if necessary (you can get composite wood shims that work great). Once the stand is stable and level, put the tank on top and shim it making sure the top rim is level in both directions. You can use the same type of composite wood shims or even a cut up credit card, airline card, etc. Some people even use playing cards. Try to shim all along the bottom of the tank, not just at one or two points. The idea is to distibute as completely as possible what will be over 600 lbs of weight on the bottom rim to avoid pressure points that could result in broken seams.

moonyguy
03/04/2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I some how feel that the tank got banged up in shipping because it is twisted with two ends low and two ends high on opposite sides. My plan tomorrow is get some good bubble levels and check how even the stand is on the floor first. The level it and then see if I can level the tank.
Johnny: Can I level the plywood thats between the tank and stand by adding shims between tank and ply? Or should I get rid of it and try and level the tank rim with the stand?
This is indeed disappointing but better fix now then later.

benray4fun
03/04/2007, 02:04 AM
This one is interesting, i've never heard of anyone schimmying the top of the stand between it and the tank. I would imagine that would cause uneven stress and the stand to split, much like a wedge being driven to split wood.

Shipping damage is possible and even likely, I doubt the manufacturer would send anything out in that condition. I hope for your sake that you CAN return the stand and claim it with the shipper/vendor, save all the wrapping just in case.

In the mean time consider protection for your floor/carpet by buying/installing a 1/4 inch commercial gym mat, something well worth investing in..."just a thought."