PDA

View Full Version : What should I feed my Montipora Capricornis?

MarineGirl411
03/04/2007, 05:18 AM
Hi everyone,
I've heard a couple of things I could try feeding my Monti. It's green with a purple rim. Love it. Anyway, I'd like to know what you all feed yours? I've heard you can feed Cyclop-eeze (sp) or dt's. What else can you feed them? I've got some cyclop-eeze. The Dt's is exp. He is the only SPS in my tank and I know he wouldn't be able to eat that much. Please let me know. I've got some mysis I can shred, squid, Cylop, and adult vitamin enriched brine shrimp. Would any of those work as well? Thank you very much.

mike660r
03/04/2007, 06:06 AM
Light and good calcium and alkalinity levels is all you need.

Froggy
03/04/2007, 06:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9389090#post9389090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mike660r
Light and good calcium and alkalinity levels is all you need.

Provided that the tank is producing enough food on it's own through fish waste , natural zooplankton etc. It is proven that corals/SPS need to feed on zooplakton as well as the nutrition they receive through photosynthesis. The size of the food prey has to be small enough to be ingested by the small polyps of SPS. DT's oyster eggs is reported to be nutritious and very small in size and a good food source for SPS and coral in general. I have just started using this product last week so I do not have enough time using it to give a review.

If you have a heavy fish load and feed the fish well that may be all you need as the corals feed heavily on fish poo so then light and calcium/alkalinity would be all you need beyond that. A low nutrient tank with a low fish load needs to be fed with an appropriate coral food IMO.

Dog boy Dave
03/04/2007, 10:24 AM
Froggy is right. No need to feed at this time if the Cap is your only coral and you have fish.

Hendersonracing
03/04/2007, 07:22 PM
I stopped feeding (phyto) for a few months and let my alk go up past 12dkh and has some major issues....Im a believer of feeding filter feedings

MarineGirl411
03/04/2007, 08:54 PM
I have quite a bit of corals. I keep my SPS on one side of the tank though, so no worries. I have a lot of LPS. Blasto's, Micro's, Acans, Brain, Dendros, and Zoas. I am feeding the LPS Mysis, Squid, and Cyclopeeze, and enriched brine shrimp. Clowns are getting a mix of that and formula one. I only have 3 fish. 2 percs and a tiny goby that I honestly don't even count. =/ Hi fin Banded Goby, with no shrimp at the moment. I actually just bought him yesterday and he's not eating yet. Would any of those foods work for the Cap? He's under good lighting. Not directly under my MH though. To the side of that and my pc's. I was told to place him in the sand so it can develop the cup shape better and to place more under the Pc's to bring the coloration out more. He's actually in MH and PC light. Okay, so please let me know if any of the foods I mentioned would work. I've heard Cyclopeeze. It's frozen too. TY very much.

RCS
03/04/2007, 10:12 PM
Cyclop-eeze will be on the large side for most SPS, M. capriornus included. Likely feeds mostly on tiny microfauna and bacteria in the water column. The DT's oyster eggs may be worth a try. Feeding things like phyto and Cyclop-eeze will promote plankton growth in the tank though, and this is mostly where your coral food will come from (zooplankton spawns).

lgoins
03/05/2007, 07:56 AM
Light..end of story.

MarineGirl411
03/05/2007, 03:06 PM
lol Lgoins, that sounds good. Thank you. If I see any problems I might try some Dt's. Or I might just get some anyway for my other corals. =) TY

Horace
03/05/2007, 04:03 PM
You certainly do not need phyto...if phyto helps it seems to be merely an indirect effect like others have said...the same with cyclopeze.

I think your better off just feeding the fish more or adding more fish than adding alot of "coral foods".

If your looking for a "coral food" exclusively, you might try some Amino Acids.