PDA

View Full Version : regals

scuba connor
03/04/2007, 08:51 AM
ok are regals reefsafe I LOVE them but allso love my reef i have mostly SPS but i also have a branching hammer ricordias a canndy cain trumpet coral one little rock with zoos on it will he eat anny of it if i get one please tell me your story if yours did or still dose and what corals if anny do they eat??? this way i stay away from

blueplanet
03/04/2007, 11:31 AM
R u refering to regal angels or regal tangs?

scuba connor
03/04/2007, 02:50 PM
regal angels

Chevrontang25
03/04/2007, 03:02 PM
I had a Regal Angel for almost a year. It was about 3-4 inches and never picked at any coral. It was a big eater also. I had success always keeping his belly full. I fed him twice a day. Its a hit or miss with all Angels. I just got lucky. You can improve your chances of him not picking at coral by keeping him well fed. They are beautiful fish.

RichK
03/04/2007, 06:46 PM
I've had my Regal for about a year now. It is an awesome fish. It does eat zoos and xenia though. The tank is a SPS tank and it hasn't touched an acro. I know this because every coral has extended polyps all day. I also have a few gonioporas in the tank and it hasn't bothered those either. They are a little difficult when it comes to getting them to feed for the first time though. Just buy from a good source. I got mine from Live Aquaria.

McCrary
03/04/2007, 08:38 PM
Xenia and clams are probably the most susceptible to being picked on. There is a very good thread on Regal Angels that you may want to read of you are considering getting one. Research is the key to getting one to eat and thrive in a reef tank. They are not for amateur fish keepers and don't take well to captivity. Impeccable water quality and a stress free environment are necessities if you are going to have one in your reef tank.

blueplanet
03/05/2007, 10:36 AM
My Regal angel does not disturb my corals. they are: Acropora, Stylophora, Pocillopora, Birdnest (Seritopora), Porites, Alvepora, favites, Bubble coral (Plerogyra), specifically.
It is a bit difficult to generalize, but in general SPS are quite safe if it is well fed. Whereas LPS is touch and go (depends on which type...Brain is no no !!) Zoos may be at higher risk...
After saying all these: each Regal angel has its own characteristic, personality and TASTE + APPETITIE. My previous Regal angel which had been with me for abt 2 years (before it died with infested disease) liked to peck on corals, does not matter they are SPSs or LPSs. The current Regal (bigger fella) has been GOOD! No pecking at all. In fact my Moorish Idol behaves worse than the Regal in my tank :).
Hope it helps!

blueplanet
03/05/2007, 10:38 AM
So, from experience, it is OK to keep Regal with predominantly SPS tank. IMO. :)

But please keep them well fed! Talk about controlled nutrients in SPS tank... Keepin a large angel with SPS is a balance...& somewhat a compromise too.... Cheers!:cool:

Fcataudo
03/05/2007, 11:05 AM
Have a regal in an SPS tank for 5 months now. No problem as far as nutrients high flow BB solves that problem for me..

Chooch1
03/05/2007, 11:52 AM
My Regal angel was safe with all my SPS. She did clear out most of my Zooanthids but I didn't care because they were starting to overtake areas of my tank. She would occasionally nip at my Candycane but did no permanent damage. She left my red Goniopora and derasa clam completely alone. Once adapted ( took about 2 months) she would eat anything offered including flake food. Select an yellow throated Red Sea specimen. I had mine for over 5 years. Good luck.

makoJ
03/05/2007, 11:53 AM
We've got one. So far he leaves the SPS and xenia alone. But he does nip at closed zoas...not open ones just closed...dunno why. I wish he'd eat the daggum xenia...lol. Beautiful fish...aim for a red sea one if you can, much hardier and more colorful.