PDA

View Full Version : Florida East Coast Coquina Rock

Bluetooth
03/04/2007, 11:33 AM
Hi,

I was not sure were to ask this, so I am sorry if this is not the correct place. I was wondering if anyone from the east coast of FL has ever used chunks of the coquina rock in their system? It seems very porous, and looks like it would make some nice live rock. If so, any problems?

Thanks

rdnyva
03/04/2007, 11:39 AM
http://terrasubaqua.com/rock.html

Thius shouldanswer your question

Bluetooth
03/04/2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks.

Anyone ever use this?

surfjeepzx
03/04/2007, 04:33 PM
That may be one source but I beleive you're thinking of the coquina that is mostly present in central and north FL. The same coquina that the Forts are made from. They use it for making walls and for fascades on buildings. many of the 1920's homes in this area are finished in coquina and its nice.

That being said, while I was setting up my tank last year my wife and I took the boat out one day at Matanzas Inlet just south of St. Augustine. In the inlet are several sandbars with the most beautiful, clean, coquina sand you've ever seen. I was also entertaining the thought of using it in my tank. So while I was anchored up over a sandbar I whipped out the cell phone and called my good friend who owns Amazing Aquariums in Daytona.

I told him where I was and what I was thinking of doing and "would it work"? He said no because the sand in our area contained (this is the part I'm not 100% sure about because I can't remember) Iron.

I told him that the sand in the inlet and was rinsed with the clearest seawater throughout high and low tide. No brackish water at all. He said it wouldn't work. I beleive him as he's a Marine Biologist and a good friend outside of the business. His advise has been golden and he's never misled me so I took it at face value.

I beleive it had something to do with the iron, or whatever it was, leaching into the tank and messing it up. He agreed it was really nice sand but unfortunately not for a reef tank.

surfjeepzx
03/04/2007, 05:03 PM
Update:

I just got off the phone with my friend the LFS owner. He said the coquina in our area contains Iron and Phosphate. He said the iron levels are not the biggy, it's the phosphate that's the show stopper.

So there you have it.

Bluetooth
03/04/2007, 05:07 PM
That is the type of rock I was speaking of. It is what the forts in St. Augistine are made of. Was over by Cocoa beach yesterday and found a few nice chunks.

Thanks for the insight, I will heed your warning. They will look good in the garden.

RobSW1
03/04/2007, 05:44 PM
I Live in Flagler Beach and have set up one tank using coquina, and it was a disaster. just as surfjeep said, the phosphates were always too hard to take care of. The algea never stopped growing. i would not reccomend using it.
HTH
Rob