PDA

View Full Version : Can a Goby fit?

peterkay
03/04/2007, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I'm a SW newbie. I have a 15g tank with 15lbs LR and 2 Ocellaris Clowns. Everything I read and everyone I speak to tells me that I should probably not add anymore fish to my setup but I want just 1 more - A goby.
I know they eat algae and often starve to death if there isn't enough to graze upon. I also know you can also supplement their diets with frozen and dried foods. I have a 2-3 inch deeep sand bed which I feel would be enough for the little guy to dig around in as well as lots of nooks and crannies for him to hide in.
I'm just looking for as many opinions as I can get. Can I fit a Goby in my system? Or, would it be a better idea to wait until I have a bigger tank? If you think I can fit one in there, please mention a particular species if you feel certain ones would be more compatible.

Thanks,
Peter

Illuminati
03/04/2007, 12:58 PM
I think the gobies you are thinking of is the rainford (Clown Jester Gobies) and some Blennys (Mandarin & Scooter Blenny).

Avoid those 3 like the plauge.

You could easily have a Bi-Color Blenny, Yellow Watchman Goby, High Fin Red Banded Goby, Yashia Goby, Tangaroa Goby.

I would avoid Neon Gobies and Clown Gobies just because they are so small and don't really do much.

If I had to pick I would either get a Tangaroa Goby or a High Fin Red Banded Goby but that is just me.

Check out www.liveaquaria.com for pictures of the gobies and care info.