PDA

View Full Version : Salt creep clean up.

Capt. Nemo
03/04/2007, 12:53 PM
What does everyone use to clean salt creep from their tanks? I use wet paper towels to wipe off the salt and some of the salt falls back into the tank. The question is are paper towels safe to use in this cleanup routine? Is there anything toxic in paper towels that could make their way into the tank by salt falling back into the tank after contact with the papertowels? Thanks!

Gary

drummereef
03/04/2007, 01:16 PM
Sure, paper towels are fine. That's what I use.

bbehring
03/04/2007, 02:08 PM
good to know thanks. I've simply been using a cloth towel.

Capt. Nemo
03/04/2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks. I know that using paper towels to clean the glass and the outside of the tank is okay, but wasnt sure if they were safe (non-toxic) to use for cleaning salt creep. I'm not sure what Shop Rite plain paper towels are made of and if the paper towel accidentally touches the water or falls into the water I wanted to be sure it doesnt contain anything that could foul up the water or harm my fish.

WaterKeeper
03/04/2007, 03:13 PM
Just one caution here. Sometimes "The Creep" visits metal items such as copper wiring. Try not to sweep "The Creep" back into the tank in areas like those or you may face problems over time.

virginiadiver69
03/04/2007, 03:24 PM
I found that eliminating bubbles breaking at the water surface nearly ended the salt creep.

Capt. Nemo
03/04/2007, 05:01 PM
Excellent advice. Thanks to all.

jdieck
03/04/2007, 05:03 PM
I use paper but after I have sweeped the salt with a wet sponge.
Dry or semi dry salt may scratch.
Also some salt creep may also contain Carbonate incrustations, for those cases I use vinegar in the sponge which helps remove any haze left afterwards.