PDA

View Full Version : Ceranthidae sp. anemones

Jow13
03/04/2007, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know anything about Ceranthidae sp. anemones? The guy who had tank of the month back in June had a couple and they were awesome. I did some searches and couldn't find a thing about them. He was just running T-5's so they might be deeper water anemones. I also doubt if clowns will host in them. But I'd like to get some info if its available.

Random Aquarist
03/04/2007, 08:20 PM
These are commonly called "tube anemones". They are distant relatives of clown-hosting anemones. Tube anemones are called so because they create a hard, calcareous(sp?) tube like feather dusters. Tube anemones are also non-photosynthetic, meaning they don't need any light for energy. This is why they eat fish, including clowns.

Jow13
03/05/2007, 09:47 PM
How big do they get?

cschweitzer
03/06/2007, 08:35 AM
Tube anemones do not create a hard calcareous base like a coco worm, they create a sheath-like tube like the featherdusters(mentioned above). I have had one retain his size at a few inches, but I just saw one in my LFS that was easily 6" long and 4" wide with a tube of about 1.5-2" in diameter.

Jow13
03/07/2007, 01:07 PM
I've heard that tube anemones may kill each other if too close together and also that you can have success almost stacking them next to each other. Anyone have any experience with these contradicting statements? Because two or three color variants side by side would be real cool.