PDA

View Full Version : crab id

bigjackstud
03/04/2007, 10:21 PM
This will be tough i'm sure cause i have no pictures.... It was found as a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock i just bought. Looks to be dark brown and has white horizontal stripes all over it. Also antenna and a little paddle in back like a shrimp! Help! I need to know if this is reef safe or not? Not going to just toss it in! I never seen one like this myself actually....

sir_dudeguy
03/04/2007, 10:26 PM
porcelain crab?
http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0104/porcelain_crab_011404.jpg

pom pom crab?
http://www.shashin.org/guy2com/hawaii/pompom.htm

bigjackstud
03/04/2007, 10:37 PM
Yup that looks like it! Mine is alot more brown though. Thanks a bunch! I guess the mistery is over...These are good for reefs right?

sir_dudeguy
03/04/2007, 10:41 PM
is it the one in the picture or the link that i posted?

I'm guessing picture since that looks more like what you described to me. Crabs in general are hit or miss...they're oportunistic, meaning if they get a chance to kill something for a shell or food, they'll do it. Its in their nature. But i've also heard that porcelains arent really a true crab and that they're a lot safer than other crabs. Plus i think they're filter feeders, making them even more safe.

I was gonna buy some a while ago since i coulda got them for a buck each, but i just couldnt buy anything at the time (was too busy to pick them up :( ). And they stay really small too, so its not like they're gonnna catch any large fish...which is what i'm guessin you've got in your 150 :)

Paintbug
03/04/2007, 10:51 PM
the fact that you said it has a little paddle on the back leads me to a Squat lobster, or Galatheid Crabs. heres a few examples.
http://www.dafni.com/crustacea/Galatheidae.htm

crabs are one of those must have pics to ID creatures.

bigjackstud
03/05/2007, 02:44 PM
No paintbug, it's just like the one sir dudeguy sent me. Thanks so much for trying though... Yes sir dudebug, it's the one picture you sent me. not the link. I think i'll just give it to my son as he has an all fish tank and mine is a reef. I don't trust it. Like you said, I also read up on crabs awhile ago. Must have read the same thing you did. They can't be trusted....Thanks again!

Paintbug
03/05/2007, 03:38 PM
porcelain crabs are about as safe as it gets. their primary source of feeding is filter feeding. they are a very interesting crab to watch.

techigirl78
03/05/2007, 04:15 PM
I've kept porcelains in reef tanks with very small fish. They filter feed and are very intresting.

sir_dudeguy
03/05/2007, 06:51 PM
Yes sir dudebug,

lol, thats a new one :)

bigjackstud
03/05/2007, 09:02 PM
lol Ooops! My bad! lol Gave the whole name thing a twist there! I think i'll just stay clear of crabs for now to be safe. I have to many other wonderful things to check on everyday now as it is! Thanks all! Appreciate the help... (Dudebug, guy whatever!) lol

sir_dudeguy
03/05/2007, 09:08 PM
:lol:

bigjackstud
03/06/2007, 06:38 AM
The little sucker went and croaked anyways. Put him in the sick tank and he got sick! There's a twist! Time for a water change in the sick tank! lol Oh well, at least i didn't pay for this one! take care people!