PDA

View Full Version : Removing Soft Corals

lossman
03/05/2007, 08:05 AM
Hope I'm posting in the right place here. :D

We have an abundance of Discosomas and Florida Ricrodeas in our tank. We would like to remove some of them to make room for other corals.

What are my options for removal within the tank without removing rocks? The rocks are rather large (40-50 lbs). If possible, we would also like to remove them alive, so we can get them new homes.

Thanks folks

afelder
03/05/2007, 10:54 AM
The issue here is that if you cut them off the rocks they will most likely grow back. You might try the trick that works with anemone. Rub ice around the foot until it detaches. I'm not sure how well it will work for mushrooms and ricordea though.

dew2loud1
03/05/2007, 04:28 PM
honestly the only way to get these off IMO is chunk off the rock. We do it by taking the rock out and using a small screwdriver (flathead) and a hammer. and just slowly chunking off the rock right under the foot. You barely notice that you removed it.

Jamokie01
03/06/2007, 01:51 PM
No way. Get a razorblade or sharp chisel or screwdriver and just scrape them off. If you go under its foot and just barely dig into the rock it usually scrapes them right off. Then go ahead and send them to me so I can make sure theyre alright.

Jamokie01
03/06/2007, 01:53 PM
Oh my bad I didnt even finish reading your post. I read "chunking" and thought you meant break it.

gflat65
03/06/2007, 05:38 PM
You could try some bone shears to cut the polyps off the rocks. If you try to slice them off, they will most likely grow back. If you have Fiji rock, the bone shears may be an option (gotta get the rock surrounding the shrooms to prevent them from growing back), but if you have something dense like Florida rock, you're not likely to have much of a good time... Being in Tampa, I'm guessing there is a good chance you have TBS rock?

bassist6108
03/06/2007, 05:48 PM
You could also scrape it off, and then throw the rock in your sump for a bit. The leftover will die and nothing will grow back. But, it is a bit of work.

Nagel
03/06/2007, 09:03 PM
Tossing the rock in the sump isn't going to fix it. They will bleach a bit, but I've seen mushrooms last for months and turn white in the sump, only to return to color when they get put back in the light.

The only way to remove mushrooms it to make sure no trace remains on the rock. Cutting them off will only make more (your cut piece, plus a new one will grow from any little bit left over). If you scrape the rock, and make sure every last piece of the mushroom is gone, then you have a chance. So scrape deep, or chunk off a piece of the rock..

Mushrooms and ricordia will NOT move with the ice trick..

cdangel0
03/12/2007, 11:34 AM
However you chooce to remove them - when you do - can I have some pieces?

lossman
03/13/2007, 11:22 AM
Not really into shipping livestock yet. Too much hassle right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9456804#post9456804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cdangel0
However you chooce to remove them - when you do - can I have some pieces?

emoutz
03/13/2007, 03:30 PM
Any thoughts on removing GSP? I've got a bunch that have overgrown a rock that is also covered in SPS. I tried some joe's juice and it did kill a portion of the colony ... but I dont want to risk my SPS by spraying joe's juice all over the place.

NanoReefWanabe
03/14/2007, 11:47 AM
i thought i read somewhere on here that you can cut the mushroom off as close to the rock as possible and then inject the remainder with kalkwasser or boiling water...

maybe that was what to do with softies...either way i sure it cant hurt to try..