PDA

View Full Version : Non-bombing Macros?

Rovert
03/05/2007, 08:14 AM
I've heard horror stories about caulerpa going 'sexual' and bombing tanks. What algaes would you recommend that are reef safe and stable, so that I don't have to worry about a tank crash?

graveyardworm
03/05/2007, 09:14 AM
Are you looking for display plants, or just functional ones, or a bit of both.

Cheato is very good at removeing nutrients and its stable, but not the the most attractive, although I like it and it does provide a spectacular habitat for little creatures.

Gracilaria is a nice looking plant which is fairly stable, it can be difficult to keep.

Codium is very nice , but I dont have any experience with it yet.

Lets figure out what it is you're looking for and then we can help more. The list could be huge try checking out some of the vendors to see whats available and maybe ask more questions from there.

Rovert
03/05/2007, 01:05 PM
Something that's good at nutrient export, and would be safe for seahorses would be ideal. If I could find some of this, it'd be great, though I don't know what it is, it was beautiful, and easy to keep. My hope was to set up a 'fuge that would double as a seahorse tank, and be easy enough to manage for nutrient export.

I posted this in another thread, but there's some question as to where to get it:
http://www.gothammarketing.com/rck/images/tank/macroalgae-purplegreen_branching.jpg

graveyardworm
03/05/2007, 03:25 PM
Called blue Ochtodes, sorry I dont know where to get it either. I used to know a source, but I dont think sell macros at all anymore. :(

Rovert
03/05/2007, 03:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9400654#post9400654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by graveyardworm
Called blue Ochtodes, sorry I dont know where to get it either. I used to know a source, but I dont think sell macros at all anymore. :(
Bummer. Thanks for the other suggestions, though. Is there any one type of macro that's better at some thing than the others? IOW, if you want to control PO, is there something that's superior, rather than something that's better at reducing nitrates, or are they all equally competent? I know that Halimeda consumes calcium, so that would probably not be my first choice in a mixed SPS/LPS/Clam tank.

graveyardworm
03/05/2007, 04:01 PM
Sorry I dont have the info your looking for as far as PO4 uptake ratios may be concerned. Generally PO4 uptake for macros is fairly low compared to Nitrates, and every macro is different. Copmared to other macros Halimeda is a fairly slow grower, and given its need to calcify would probably be a poor choice for PO4 control seeing how PO4 inhibits calcification.

There are some threads and info floating around which may suggest which macros are better at taking up PO4. Hopefully someone with alittle more knowledge in this area will chime in.

I wouldnt knock caulerpa too much it is maintainable and with carbon use shouldnt cause major problems in a seahorse tank. Alot of people use it.

cmsargent
03/13/2007, 01:47 PM
The Ochtodes is available from Inland Aquatics. I does appear to be a slightly different species than the one in the pic though. I have some that looks exactly like that pic. It's purplish, glows blue with actinics, and has thick strands (this one came from a fellow reefer). The one I bought from IA has thinner stands (more like cheato diameter) and seems to stay the same constant purple regardless of what light it is under.

I have lots of macros in my SH tank. Codium is nice and doesn't go sexual (although the temperate varity has been known to disolve in the higher temp reef tanks). The reds don't seem to go sexual. I personally like the red feather kelp and dragon's tongue. I also have caulerpa and I've never had it go sexual. I prune it back every 2-3 weeks and as this is a nutrient high tank that isn't a issue.