PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY Advice needed!

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 11:13 AM
I had my flame angel in a QT with cuparime for 4 days, his eating slowed and he developed what apeared to be a cut. Well this morning the cut is worse and he started to lay down on the bottom of the tank, a water test revealed a good bit of ammonia and nitrite and I feared I was loosing him fast. with no water to do a water change I scooped him up and placed him in the display tank and he seemed to perk up some what. What do I do? I know QT's require alot of water changes but this spike happend over night it seemed. I don't want him to get ich again and I fear the cut on his side will get infected....HELP!

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 11:26 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/826985/102_6570.JPG
That is from a few hours ago

WaterKeeper
03/05/2007, 11:28 AM
Was the cut inflamed? If so, there may already be a bacterial infection. You were right moving him from quarantine with elevated ammonia levels but at the same time it hasn't been long enough to eradicate any ich in the Display. Get some water and move him again to the Q-tank and perhaps add a broad spectrum antibiotic in addition to copper.

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 11:32 AM
the Display still had livestock in it, the flame was the only fish to come down with any signs of ich. I'll get water ASAP and try to move him back. He seems to be doing better now then he was in the QT...not laying on the bottom any more atleast.

scoots
03/05/2007, 11:42 AM
If there are other fish in the display then I would not remove the flame to treat for ich. The parasite still has other fish to host on and will be in the display when the flame angel is placed back in. Only now the flame angel will be more stressed and possibly have a weakened imune resopnse from the poor conditions in the QT. You need to either take all your fish and treat in QT or I would leave the flame where it is and try to suppliment food with garlic and selcon or something similar. Make sure you are offering a variety of meaty foods as well as algae like nori and formula 2.

JohnnyM2
03/05/2007, 11:44 AM
Get some AmmoLok for your QT tank. It will lock up the ammonia so it isn't toxic. Then don't bother testing until you have changed the water because, with AmmoLok, you will test positive for ammonia.

WaterKeeper
03/05/2007, 11:54 AM
As long as one fish has ich the others will get it. Your copper treatment needs to be applied to all the fish and the tank run fallow for at least a month. It that the injury under and behind the Pectoral? It may be due to scraping on the rock and sand, a common behavior in a fish with ich.

Oh, and right about using the ammonia binder products.

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 11:56 AM
He is laying on a rock in a cave now..I think he is on his way out..

WaterKeeper
03/05/2007, 12:02 PM
Even if the flame passes on there will be ich cysts in your tank and your other fish will meet the same fate. They need to be removed and treated. Any inverts can remain as they do not catch or host ich.

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 12:10 PM
What about treating with heavey garlic higher temps and mild hypo?

WaterKeeper
03/05/2007, 12:27 PM
Hypo can't be used with any inverts and it should be confined to a hospital tank. Higher temps only accelerate the life cycle of the parasite and would harm many other things if high enough to extinguish an ich outbreak. Garlic has never proven itself to cure or prevent ich.

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 12:50 PM
the flame is now laying on his side in a LR cave if I move the rock he will jump back up and swim around but then go right back to laying down..It's just so hard to have to watch this knowing he is probably not going to make it through the rest of the day...Wish I could do some thing.

scoots
03/05/2007, 01:13 PM
At that stage there isn't much you can do! Sorry

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 01:50 PM
I tried to target feed him with garlic soaked mysis and I think he ate 1 or 2 of them, he has no engergy

ionredline0260
03/05/2007, 05:11 PM
:(
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/826985/104_6574.JPG

Whats weird is my pygmy angel fish had a wound EXACTLY like that 3 weeks ago when it died. Almost looks like some thing ate it from the inside out