PDA

View Full Version : Xenia question

Antman
03/05/2007, 01:17 PM
So I have tried xenia in the past and it just faded away
I have herd in some tanks it can take over the hole tanks and others just not do good
Why is this what do they like or dislike ?

dragon_slayer
03/05/2007, 01:19 PM
that's an age old question nobody seams to know a definite answer to, I've had them in tanks that were connected via the sump so the water chemistry was the same and they had the same lighting the only difference was the tank location and they thrived in one, looked horrible in the other.

kc

sir_dudeguy
03/05/2007, 01:57 PM
ya theres' way too many variables to know exactly why some tanks cant kill them (like mine :( ) and others cant grow them.

I did hear one time tho, that they're a sort of filter feeder (i may be wrong, but i THINK it was either nitrates/phosphates that they can feed on naturally, but i cant remember for sure what it was. It was a long time ago that i read it and its just not ringing a very strong bell :) ). But there are rumors that say something about really clean tanks cant grow them well. I personally think its kinda true. If they're a filter feeder, then it would make sense wouldnt it? If the tank is too clean, there wouldnt be enough for them to filter feed...right?

zoomfish1
03/05/2007, 02:53 PM
Yea, they like their water a little dirty. That's why I have no luck I guess.

reverendmaynard
03/05/2007, 04:19 PM
Dragon_slayers post suggests that there's more to it than water quality. My experience is also along the same lines. I've had xenia melt away in one part of the tank while others continue to thrive in the same tank.

dragon_slayer
03/05/2007, 04:34 PM
i do agree they would prefer a high nutrient tank But they will also thrive in a pristine tank, they just don't spread as quickly but they will fully expand and pulse none the less.

kc

Antman
03/05/2007, 06:48 PM
Humm not sure if my tank is clean or dirty but I am using a euroreef ES5-2 on a 54 gallon tank

dragon_slayer
03/05/2007, 07:48 PM
over skimming doenst make pristine water quality, you can have a very large skimmer on a tank and still have very 'dirty' water with high nutrient levels.

kc

Antman
03/09/2007, 08:14 PM
I got 2 frags of xenia from someone local the other day
One is fine and the other is barley hanging on
They are in the same tank same lights same flow
what gives

fantastic4
03/09/2007, 11:00 PM
tip... try at your own risk....

I agree with the notion that Xenia loves extra Nitrates/Phosphates or "dirty water." If you can't grow Xenia at all, my last ditch effort suggestion if you must have Xenia or commit Seppuku (don't flame me please, only a suggestion)... try creating a nitrate factory by adding a very small canister filter filled with live rock rubble or that porus Ehiem rock or Fluval bacteria medium. Only fill the canister with rock or bacteria medium. As the canister matures, it will be a very efficient nitrite reducer and nitrate factory (aka food factory) for your Xenia. Now here is the tricky part. Try to balance out the nitrates by adding a ton of chaeto in a refugium and ensure you run a skimmer as well. In summary, the canister is your constant 24/7 food supply and the rest of your system compensates for the food factory. Now acros and other hard corals will probably suffer, I only reccomend this for softy tanks [or filter feeder softies like Xenia] as a "at wits end" strategy.

also, point the output nozzle at the Xenia or close proximity. Dose Iodine and ensure Xenia has random water movement by wavemaker means.

dragon_slayer
03/09/2007, 11:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9440787#post9440787 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fantastic4
...........Now here is the tricky part. Try to balance out the nitrates ............. ensure you run a skimmer as well.

skimmers take out ONLY un-dissolved organics in the water column, they'll do absolutely nothing at all to lower dissolved organics and the such. they only reduce NO3 by removing the source before it breaks down through the nitrogen cycle. they'll do nothing to counteract your nitrate factory in the canister filter.

kc

fantastic4
03/10/2007, 10:29 AM
dragon_slayer, very true indeed. My comment was meant to suggest that a skimmer will help control organics and thus help mitigate nitrite and eventually nitrate spikes from over feeding.

dragon_slayer
03/10/2007, 06:18 PM
i guess i must of misread that then, instead of suggesting over feeding and skimming heavily it seamed to me you suggested using a canister filter (or any biological type 'nitrate factory') to increase NO3 levels to help promote the Xenia growth and a skimmer would then counteract the elevated NO3 levels.........

kc