PDA

View Full Version : How to care for carnation?

DaBenzsta08
03/05/2007, 04:25 PM
My carnation has bene alive for a week now since i got it i feed it cylcopeez and it looks good for the most part. But it hasnt FULLY opened up, i can see the differnece between when its closed up and when its as "open" as it will get, but im not seeing the polyps all the way. I haveit in a cave partial with light partial shaded and low ish flow since its in the substrate. Any tips to help keep this coral would be great!

Heres the carnation at its "open" stage for now.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/DaBenzsta08/IMG_0705.jpg

benya29
03/05/2007, 05:20 PM
i want one, but good luck with it.....theyre prob one of the most difficult corals to keep in most aquarists opinions.....theyre considered impossible to keep in home aquariums....i hate to say its prob gonna die soon

mwwhite
03/05/2007, 05:51 PM
You may want to consider returning it if possible.

From LiveAquaria:

" requires low lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. It is necessary to have a constant current with an abundance of algal plankton. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water.

It does not contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae. Therefore, its diet should include live, baby brine shrimp, micro-plankton, and other small foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates, in order to survive in the reef aquarium. These foods must be available almost constantly. Again, only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral.

DaBenzsta08
03/05/2007, 06:06 PM
well i changed my flow, it has opened up more and got a lot bigger adn happier looking since, and I'm feeding twice or more a day, Im gunna try and do it for as long as I can. And ill hope for luck. I got a great deal on it so i guess ill learn from my mistakes...

benya29
03/05/2007, 09:19 PM
good luck.....keep me informed on it.....theyre one of the nicest corals but i never hear good stories about them in home aquariums

jecarl2
03/05/2007, 11:23 PM
I've had one for 3 months now and it is doing fine. I feed mine zoo plex once a week and it is under T5's.