PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop Pump Sugestions

RoGeTa
03/05/2007, 05:00 PM
I needed some quick suggestions on a pump for a closed loop system. I would like a fairly quiet pump that does Approximately 1000 gallons per hour. There will be 5-6 ft of head pressure as well.

davidryder
03/05/2007, 05:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9401580#post9401580 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RoGeTa
I needed some quick suggestions on a pump for a closed loop system. I would like a fairly quiet pump that does Approximately 1000 gallons per hour. There will be 5-6 ft of head pressure as well.

that head loss will almost be negated by the pressure of the drain water pushing down on the pump. one of the beauties of closed loop :)

for external pumps, i recommend the Pan World pumps - they are very quiet and they look awesome. I have the 50PX-X and it is rated at like 1100 gph.

L and L
03/05/2007, 06:29 PM
For quiet, the Poseiden (previously called Velocity) pumps are silent. They do add some heat into a system (1-2 degrees F. ...at least that's what they say)... although, I've never had a problem with heat. My system is 78-80^F right now. I guess it depends on what you set your house AC temp. I do have a small fan on the each of the pumps in case that does help cool it down. I don't know if that works or not... or what my tank temp would be if I turned off the fans. Sounds like an experiment. :D

My closed loop T4 has been running for 5 years and my sump pump T3 for 4 years.

You cannot hear them running.

Info on them here: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_poseidon.asp?CartId=

RoGeTa
03/05/2007, 07:15 PM
Awesome! I was hoping for some feedback on these two pumps, they were high on my list :D

L and L
03/05/2007, 08:32 PM
ha. cool.

I did have a Quiet One sump pump that I bought in 02'. And it worked fine till 12 months later.... it split in half. Yes, the outer casing cracked in half. Luckily, the saltwater didn't escape or I would of had a flood. So, I replaced it with the Velocity T3 pump.

But, keep in mind... this Quiet One was an 02' model. I have no experience with the new ones.

davidryder
03/05/2007, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9403543#post9403543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by L and L
ha. cool.

I did have a Quiet One sump pump that I bought in 02'. And it worked fine till 12 months later.... it split in half. Yes, the outer casing cracked in half. Luckily, the saltwater didn't escape or I would of had a flood. So, I replaced it with the Velocity T3 pump.

But, keep in mind... this Quiet One was an 02' model. I have no experience with the new ones.

yeah if you are going to buy a pump that is critical to the system, you shouldn't be afraid to spend some money on it. spending a little more is an investment that will pay off overtime.

davidryder
03/05/2007, 09:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9402334#post9402334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by L and L
For quiet, the Poseiden (previously called Velocity) pumps are silent. They do add some heat into a system (1-2 degrees F. ...at least that's what they say)... although, I've never had a problem with heat. My system is 78-80^F right now. I guess it depends on what you set your house AC temp. I do have a small fan on the each of the pumps in case that does help cool it down. I don't know if that works or not... or what my tank temp would be if I turned off the fans. Sounds like an experiment. :D

My closed loop T4 has been running for 5 years and my sump pump T3 for 4 years.

You cannot hear them running.

Info on them here: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_poseidon.asp?CartId=

those are awesome pricey and worth it pumps.

the only problem is they go from 800 to 1200 gph, and the original poster was looking for 1000gph. probably not a big deal, though.

L and L
03/05/2007, 11:34 PM
I really don't consider the Poseidon pumps to be expensive. The Iwaki pumps I consider to be expensive.

Also, the 1200gph is at 4 ft of head and rogeta has 5-6 ft of head.

I don't have any experience with any other pumps, but it is an ease to clean my Velocity pumps. I use Muriatic acid (20 % solution of HCL). You can buy it at most Swimming pool products business. It is, even at 20%, a very strong acid, much stronger than vinegar. It is very important that one use extreme caution when using this acid – it will burn holes in clothing and severely burn human skin.

The calcium deposits are gone in seconds and left with a smooth surface.