PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning skimmer.

vanmo92
03/05/2007, 06:19 PM
I know that when you get a new skimmer you need to wait about a week for it to break in and develope a slime coating on the inside. I have heard that a good cleaning of a skimmer is really good, but I wonder if cleaning it out to much will get rid of some of that slime and cause a mini-break-in-period? Is this something to worry about or not?

pottsburg
03/05/2007, 08:16 PM
bump, I'm wondering if I am overcleaning my skimmer.

RedEyeElf
03/05/2007, 08:24 PM
they won't skim right after cleaning, just like it won't skim right when you have your arms in the tank screwing with thing, after an hour or so, it should start skimming like normal

Agu
03/05/2007, 08:32 PM
I clean my skimmer cup about weekly, It stops skimming for an hour or two and then goes back to normal skimming.

Skimmer pump gets cleaned monthly, again after an hour or two it's back to normal. At the same time a toothbrush is used to knock loose crud below the skimmer cup.

The skimmer itself hasn't been cleaned in three years.

ReefHotSpot
03/05/2007, 09:08 PM
I would recommend cleaning the skimmer regularly. You will see a massive improvement in the skim efficiency. The one trick is to not scratch the inside of the skimmer. Even the most minute scratch will disturb the waste conveyance.

Max