PDA

View Full Version : Seaswirl microbubbles

dmbnpj
03/05/2007, 08:58 PM
I have a 1" seaswirl hooked up by closed loop to a mag 12 pump sitting in my sump. It is connected by flex tubing with nylon in it. Every couple minutes you can hear air being sucked into the closed loop and then the seaswirl will shoot a pocket of microbubbles out. The intake I have is just pvc with holes drilled in it located in the display tank (like you can find on melevs site). Is there something I can do to fix this?

dmbnpj
03/06/2007, 05:10 PM
bump

WaterKeeper
03/06/2007, 05:25 PM
Could be that the rotating head is worn where it attaches to the main body and as it rotates a worn spot allows air to enter the discharge flow. Only a guess however.

dmbnpj
03/06/2007, 05:37 PM
Can you repair that if that is the problem?

WaterKeeper
03/06/2007, 05:42 PM
You'd need to check on their site but you might try a little experiment. Place some petrolium jelly on the seal for the rotating head. If the bubbles stop that is probably the problem. Who knows, it may be the only fix you need.

dmbnpj
03/06/2007, 05:51 PM
Good thinking, I will take it out and check it out.
Thanks

fareforce
03/06/2007, 05:58 PM
A Sea Squirrel!! Well that's your problem!

If you can hear air being sucked in, I wouldn't think it would be the sea swirl (unles the air sucking and bubble blowing are at the same time). If they are a second or two apart, then it sounds like you either have a leak somewhere, or you could be pulling a small vortex of air into the CL system.

So here are a few questions:

1) How far under the surface of the water is the intake?

2) How many GPH are you pushing through?

3) do you notice and salt creep at any part of the CL system (at joints, etc. )?

We will start with that, and see where is goes..
It could be that you have a very small leak that is pulling air, but to small for water to go through. The air builds up until you hear it finish it's journey. It could be that your sea swirl is causing such random waves that it occasionally creates a vortex of air for your listening pleasures...