PDA

View Full Version : New fish coming, QT not set up yet

grwoolf
03/05/2007, 09:39 PM
I had good intentions on a QT tank I bought last week, but it's not set up and cycled yet. It turns out I got in on a group buy for some additional live rock and fish via mail. I was going to wait on the fish until my QT tank was set up, but went ahead and ordered a few fish with the rock. I know there is a risk adding the fish directly to my tank and I would like to minimize it as much as possible. The only fish in my tank are a Maroon clown and Algae Blenny and I have about 100 lbs of live rock in a 72g with sump, ER RS-80 skimmer. I bought the tank about 4 weeks ago used and it had been set up for several years. No spikes of any kind after setting it back up and I actually removed 2 puffers (both were pigs) that were in the tank a couple weeks back, so I feel pretty good about adding a few fish without overloading the tank.

What is the best thing to do in addition to drip acclimation? I've heard that a freshwater dip is good, but I've never done it before and seems like it would be pretty stressful (after all the trouble of slowly acclimating the fish). If anything comes in looking sick, I plan to put it in the QT tank and just deal with the cycle issues with constant water changes, etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

SDguy
03/05/2007, 09:46 PM
I'm concerned that you are adding mail order live rock AND fish to a tank that ALREADY contains fish. Those are big no-no's. Mailordered rock is going to have a small amount of die-off. Granted this may not be a huge deal, but why subject your fish to cycling water parameters? And it could very well have detrimental effects on new fish.

grwoolf
03/05/2007, 10:03 PM
Should have clarified. No plans to add any more rock to tank for at least a month, just the fish. Once the rock cures, I will add slowly, and some is going in another tank.