PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I have bubble corals or brains???

michaeltwana
03/05/2007, 09:05 PM
It seems that I cannot get these two specific corals to survive in my tank... I can grow almost everything else I try..SPS,softs, other LPS....but not these..anybody have clues or is it me??? Probably me right...thanks

DSMpunk
03/05/2007, 09:09 PM
I have to keep mine in low flow and really low light or they start looking bad. When they go back in the shade they perk right up.

IPowderBlueTang
03/05/2007, 09:18 PM
I will second the above comment mae by DSMpunk. I had bubble coral in medium flow and under MH and it went down hill and I put it in my 65 gal in the sand bed under NO Lights and it is flourishing! I was given a brain under MH and it wasn't doing good and in my NO lights it is also a plump up and happy!

ReefHotSpot
03/05/2007, 09:23 PM
Yep, it's a third. Since you are having sps success your lighting and flow are probably the issues.

awestruck
03/06/2007, 10:28 AM
I have to agree here too--bubbles prefer lower light and a quiet flow. My brain likes medium flow and medium light. Give those ideas some thought...! :)

cristhiam
03/06/2007, 10:55 AM
Also what kind of fish do you have, I had a hippo and a sailfin that like brains!, I have a bubble that receided on me like 3 years ago after changing lights, no matter what I do still not happy but still hanging out with me :)

fishyz
03/06/2007, 04:50 PM
I'm setting up a 90g and I bought two 65watt 10,000K lights and two 65watt actinics. Would this be enough light for a brain and bubble coral?

rcmike
03/06/2007, 05:04 PM
I have to disagree on the flow and lighting being too much on the bubble corals. I have one under 400W MHs and has a lot of flow around it. It is on the bottom of the tank but gets a lot of light. I have had it for years and had to frag it a couple of years ago since it grew so much.

zoomfish1
03/06/2007, 05:10 PM
I noticed my bubble coral has receeded since I put new bulbs in. It is on the bottom under 2x250w MH. I might try putting it in some shade and see how it does.

cabowabo
03/06/2007, 05:23 PM
My bubble coral was the hardiest consistantly good looking coral ever had. I had 2 175 watt 10k MH with 2 40 watt attinics.I keept it close to the bottom with LOW FLOW. My observations were they need very low flow. It also liked to be fed. I gave it whole shrimp and clam piece once per week. I placed it gently on the bubbles and it would make it disapear faster than I could get my hand out of the tank. Make sure your calcium is over 400.
Just my experience.

Good luck.

rcmike
03/06/2007, 05:35 PM
They DO NOT need low flow! My closed loop has blown all the sand out from under mine and it still thrives. They will close up for a few days if placed in higher flow but they will open back up in time.

cristhiam
03/06/2007, 06:33 PM
Also there are different species too, pearl bubbles.... etc.. that might have to do with it.

cristhiam
03/06/2007, 06:38 PM
This is a picture on 2005, with just 3 40W NO lights. Totally receided on me when I switch ballast to IceCaps, it's never been happy, I still have it but it's totally inside the squelleton with tiny bubbles. it's been like that for at least 2 years. Not improving but still there. It's funny to see that picture :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/51914March1105-012.jpg

rcmike
03/06/2007, 06:39 PM
True, there are different kinds. Mine is just a plain bubble coral as far as I know. I would say it could depend on where they are collected as well. I have just found that a lot of lps are more tolerent of high flow than people think. Many of them react negatively at first but after a few days expand more than before.

rcmike
03/06/2007, 06:49 PM
While we are showing off, here is mine a few years ago. It got quite a bit bigger than that and I fragged it into 4 pieces. Those tunze looking things are diy reeftecs, basically like a maxijet mod but with a little giant pump and bigger propellers. Worked great and put out a ton of flow but only lasts a few months before the pump burns out.

http://home.comcast.net/~rc-mike/wsb/media/436577/site1010.jpg