PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean new Live Rock

benihana
03/06/2007, 06:48 AM
I just purchased 45lbs of Fiji LR from Foster Smith, and it will be here on Sat. I have been reading a lot about what needs to be done, but can not find anything specific about how to "scrub" off the dead stuff. I have a new tank with no inhabitants yet, so I was planning on curing it in the tank. I have 2 power heads (one 300 pgh & one 600gph) that I will be using for circulation, and a 3" sand bed.

Can someone please tell me if I should be "scrubbing" it? Or should I let it run its course? Should I do a Freshwater dip, or a high salinity dip? If so, how long should I keep each piece submerged? I assume there will be "stuff" that will come off the rock, should I remove it from the tank, or should I leave it in there?

I guess I have a lot of unanswered questions. Any help is greatly appriciated

Thanks
Ben

davidryder
03/06/2007, 06:54 AM
It's really up to you, especially since you don't have anything in the tank yet. I just got 50lbs of live rock yesterday. I LIGHTLY scrubbed it with a bristle brush (toothbrush) and rinsed it off in a tub of salt water I mixed up just for that.

benihana
03/06/2007, 08:27 AM
bump

hansmatt
03/06/2007, 01:44 PM
I've not bought rock for quite a while, but I used a turkey baster & powerhead to loosen debris & suck it out. Get out the major chunks, change the water every week or so (not all of it) and skim the tar out of the curing rock. I didn't scrub much except for really thick /very dead material, in order to keep as much life as possible.

DrBegalke
03/06/2007, 09:07 PM
i wouldn't scrub it, i would just let it cycle in the tank

shellshocked
03/06/2007, 09:32 PM
Ditto the advice of hansmatt.