PDA

View Full Version : Debate over coraline inhibiting good bacteria?

Hightower33
03/06/2007, 08:23 AM
I came across a reading somewhere and I cant remember where, that Coraline algae while indicates a very healthy tank, may at the same time because of its substance actually seal up live rock making it less porous thus having less capacity to hold good nitifying bacteria.

I know I have limited knowledge in reefs, but it does seem to make sense. But I have no facts.

I say this because my tank has a ton of coraline everywhere. Perhaps its a concern? Maybe not.

Your thoughts and experiences?

\

beez
03/06/2007, 11:05 AM
Just my 2 cents:

Theoretically speaking, if coralline grows over the pores in the rock there is going to be less surface area for bacteria to colonize, but I don't think its anything to worry about because there will always be enormous surface area in the rocks and sand where no coralline can grow because of darkness...on the undersides/shaded areas. Bacteria tend to thrive more in dark areas anyway. And I've never heard of a tank actually having such a problem. Like I said, I have no data to back this up, just my thoughts:p

Kip
03/06/2007, 12:53 PM
if you have a sand bed, you have tons of real estate for nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. just keep good flow across the sand and keep the sand bed stocked with critters that shift it around (not critters that sift it and rob it of its beneficial micro-critters)