PDA

View Full Version : Toad Stool Concern

Divedog
03/06/2007, 09:40 AM
I have had 2 Toad Stools in my tank for pretty much 7 months now. The large one is approximately 8 inches in diameter and the smaller is approximately 4 inches in diameter. Both have been continually out since a few days after they were introduced to the tank. About 12 days ago the large one closed up and about a week ago the smaller has closed up for what appears to be no reason.

The water parameters are fine. ph 8.1-8.2, dkh 9.8, nitrite 0, nitrate less than 5, cal 460, salinity is 1.026.

The tank inhabitants are, purple tang, flame angel, true perc, scooter blenny, a few turbo snails, and a few astrae snails.

The xenia is fine, devils hand is fine, zoo's look great, and shrooms are reproducing.

This morning, I noticed the larger appears to be sloughing off a coat of slim/skin?. Not sure what it is. The smaller one has opened slightly but no sloughing has occured from what I noticed.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

RedEyeElf
03/06/2007, 05:50 PM
Mine did this the last couple weeks, after that slime was shed he started coming back, and is now looking TONS better, not 100% yet, but I did nothing special, added some flow to help the slime shed

Nagel
03/06/2007, 08:58 PM
Sloughing is normal.. Actually, its a way for the coral to remove waste that has accumulated on it.

I would direct a little flow towards the coral (notice, Towards, not blasting it directly) to help it finish losing the slough coat. Usually they REALLY perk up after losing the slough coat. Does your smaller one look like its surface is "waxy"? If so, its getting ready to slough off the outer layer as well.

This is actually pretty normal, and I wouldn't be worried about it.

SitBackAndWatch
03/06/2007, 09:53 PM
slough.... as in a soft muddy area?

or as in a condition of degradation?

Divedog
03/07/2007, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the input the coral aspect of this hobby is relatively new to me even though I have had fish when it was the newest latest and greatest in the 80's to run a tank with an undergravel filter and powerheads.

This evening, the larger piece was out about 20%. Which is 20 more than it has been for a week. It would appear it is moving in the right direction. SitBackAndWatch, it would be a condition of degradation.

Do Toad Stoals flush the fluids within them? Yesterday, the large one appeared flacide and almost amceated. Tonight it is more upright and rigid.

The smaller piece has not changed at all. Still not extending and no visible coating/slim on it. However, the tank water appears to be a little cloudy/milky tonight.

Bare in mind, a week ago it just milked up out of no where for about 2 days. The LFS said that was a result of the corals releasing toxins(?) or something. True or False, I do not know.

Again, appreciate the insight.

Divedog
03/07/2007, 02:36 AM
This was approx a month ago. Sorry for the poor pic quality.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/502/121830021507TNK.jpg