PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine live rock?

The Saltman
03/06/2007, 02:21 PM
Hi guys,

I've been reading a reef book that recommends you even quarantine live rock besides just corals and fish. What are some of the things you could find in live rock and could someone explain the proper procedure for quarantine of live rock? I appreciate your response

kfowler
03/06/2007, 03:09 PM
Aiptasia, aiptasia and aiptasia! Seriously, besides that any other kind of pest or parasite could hitch-hike including Mantis shrimp or even Ich while in cyst stage.

If I were adding LR to an established tank, I'd put it in a holding pen for a week or so to observe. Make sure nothing nasty or unpleasant crawls out of it.

Radiography14
03/06/2007, 04:17 PM
take 2 dry blankets and dry this rock out for a couple days. it will kill everything then you could put it in a rubbermaid container with any kind of powerhead to swish the water. After another day or 2 stick it in your tank. All that color on your rock will go away but in time of a few short weeks it will come back. Trust me just dont put it in your tank. You dont want to deal with problems later. This is just my way of doing this but you can do it other ways i suppose.

LarryW
03/06/2007, 04:34 PM
if its cured LR, then I would do your 20% water change, and put that 20% into a container. Put the cured LR into the container with a few PH's , a heater, and a light. Let it sit in there for a few days to make sure there aren't any critters in there. You could then kalk any aipistia on the rock. You might be able to do a hypersaline dip, to see what comes out as well, then add it to the display. I would put it into a container for a few days though. I wouldn't dry off any LR, what's the point of buying LR then? Just buy base rock, it's cheaper. If the LR is uncured, let is sit in the container untill all the die off is done, and then add it to the display tank. you don't want to add uncured LR to a display and cause a mini cycle.