PDA

View Full Version : How would you Circulate this system?

tailored
03/06/2007, 03:18 PM
I've got a 90rr AGA undrilled aquarium with corner overflow sitting about 30'' above an acrylic homemade sump (approx 35 gal) in which I will put a diy Euroreef-ish pvc skimmer and a refugium. I have a single genx pump mak4 (similar to iwake 55 rlt) that produces 1190 gph.

This will be a mixed reef system and will not be sps intensive (I might eventually put a few in).

I'm considering drilling a centrally located hole about 8"-10" from the top of the tank in which I will put a spray bar spanning the back of the tank. I am also thinking about drilling two holes on oposite sides of the tank, also about 8"-10" below the top of the tank in case i decide to later install a closed loop.

1. Would you drill the back for outputs? If so, where on the back glass would you drill ?

2. Or would you drill a centrally located hole and put a spray bar?

3. Would you draw water from the sump only or also from the tank itself?

4. What possible problems do you see arising?
a. if you think that the pump will be drawing more water than what the tank will drain, could i just add a "Tee" and a ball valve to the output of the pump and and pump more water into the sump?

5. If I do cut holes in anticipation of later adding a closed loop system (or otherwise) what would be the best way to cap these off until I am ready to use them, considering the tank will be full of water until such time?

5. Any other considerations?

Thanks guys (and gals)!