PDA

View Full Version : Thin Clown Trigger

jowens
03/06/2007, 03:35 PM
I am considering buying a clown trigger from a lfs. They have had it exactly one month and feeds well, although I suspect it is not being fed enough. It is about 4" total length and has excellent color.
It is very thin in front of the eyes and under the dorsal fin. Is this typical of under-nourished clown triggers, or a red flag? I am considering buying it but don't want a doomed fish.
Thanks.

danorth
03/06/2007, 03:57 PM
I would ask for it to be fed daily for 3 days with shrimp and see if it improves. Tell them the fish is skinny, not "hey, it looks nice" Tell them what you're telling us.

The owner/employee should be told that their fish look like a$$ otherwise they won't care...

cougarguy
03/06/2007, 08:38 PM
Also being so thin might be a sign that it has an internal parasite.

Honestly talk to the store and ask them if he came in that thin or if he has been getting thinner since they got him. If they say he came in that thin then you dont want him.

jowens
03/06/2007, 09:24 PM
I asked if the fish was thin when it arrived, and they did not know. It is a large, under-staffed store that moves a lot of fish, so I can maybe understand them not knowing.
A skinny clown trigger that simply needs some tlc is something I'd love to take on, but the possibility of an internal parasite scares me.

tangyreefer05
03/06/2007, 10:35 PM
If you are afraid of wasting the money, talk out a deal with the owner. QT him and baby it back to health.

cougarguy
03/07/2007, 07:20 PM
I would also ask if you could get a deal on him and then get some dewormer and go for it.