PDA

View Full Version : New 40g

bigtim40
03/06/2007, 04:38 PM
I just got a 40 long tank (48x13x16) and want to do a fish only tank. If this was your tank what would you put in it?

Also, what filtration would you recomend, and would you use LR, or some other kind of rock? Sand or no sand? If no sand, what would you put on the bottom?

EdKruzel
03/06/2007, 05:35 PM
That's a nice tank and I would probably add a built in overflow similar to what I did with my ten gallon nano ( See thread here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1062729) ).

I'd use a mixture of Marshal Island and Tonga Branch rock for best shape and ease of building when attempting a natural looking reefscape. I would add a thin layer of sand (about an inch or two) and use a sump for any filtration and to hide equipment like the skimmer, heater and bags of carbon.

Make a list of readily available fish that do not exceed 3-4''s when mature, next narrow that down to your favorite compatible fish keeping the bioload no more than moderate.

bigtim40
03/06/2007, 10:02 PM
I would be extreamly scared to drill the tank, do you know how much it usually costs to drill an overflow?

Also, is this tank big enough for any kinds of anthias? I was kind of hoping for some fish ideas as well.

bigtim40
03/09/2007, 03:07 PM
bump

EdKruzel
03/09/2007, 04:51 PM
A local glass shop would probably cut it for about $20, although scary it's much easier than most would think.

As to fish, the only Anthias I could recommend is probably the Sunburst, but I'd really shy away from anthias in a smaller system and stick to a nice dwarf angel, maybe a pair of Percs/Ocellaris w/host anemone and some nice gobies and/or a small hawkfish.

For additional life you can add inverts like ornamental shrimp and starfish as well as an urchin or two.

bigtim40
03/10/2007, 07:02 PM
Sounds good. This thread is kindof dead other than you, so if you want to read more, I started the same thread in the FO forum...