PDA

View Full Version : Help with mystery live rock critter!

twofisheads
03/06/2007, 03:40 PM
Greetings to all. I regret that my first post is a request for help. I imagine it's that way with a number of us, though. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

What ever it is in this chunk of live rock, it seems to be bothering my soft corals. The zoanthids sharing the rock completely close throughout the night (when the mystery critter seems to be more prevalent), whereas my other zoas in the tank stay at least partially open all night. Also, a nice mushroom disappeared from the rock yestereday, and hasn't shown up anywhere else in the tank. The critter(s) has clear, small "tentacles" with white balls on the tips, and seems to be anchored deep in crevices in the rock.
In the picture, the bigger animals are the closed zoanthids, while the mystery critter tentacles are near the top of the photo (around the zoanthids), and at the bottom right, in the rock crevice- you can mainly see the little white balls at the tentacle tips.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (what is it, and should I try to eradicate it?). The critter seems to be growing, and having an increasing effect on the animals in its vicinity.

Thank you!
Brian

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/rolypolyfisheads/critter.jpg

12gal Nanocube DX
3 Gulf of Mexico peppermint shrimp
4 bluelegged hermits
2 snails
Zoas
mushroom (?)

katpurdy
03/06/2007, 03:53 PM
could it be a majano anemone?

Scuba_Steve
03/06/2007, 03:55 PM
:welcome:
I can see that they are very clear so a pict is hard to get, but any chance you can get a better picture?

Paintbug
03/06/2007, 03:57 PM
looks like what is called a Ball Anemone. called Anemones, but they are in fact Corallimorphs (Mushrooms). the little balls on the tips are sticky and thats probably bothering the zoas. i little Joes Juice usually does the trick on them.

melev
03/06/2007, 10:32 PM
I agree with Paintbug. I've known them to be called Orange Ball Anemones, and have many in my tank. The ones in the sump do no harm and the ones in the display seem to only open up during the late night hours when the zoanthids are closed up. During the daytime when the zoas are open, the little anemones are closed.

They haven't caused any harm in my tank and I've had them for over two years. They stay very small.

Chaotic Reefer4u
03/06/2007, 11:04 PM
twofishheads,
[welcome]

twofisheads
03/07/2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the ideas. After checking around, it does look like the orange ball anemones...except for the lack of orange. (Of course there's plenty of color variability in the reef, so it's probably still a correct diagnosis/ID) I'm all for keeping diversity up, as long as agression isn't that much of an issue. I'll just keep an eye on the little guy for now, and monitor the situation. Hopefully my mushroom will re-appear soon. :(
Cheers!

Shnabbles
03/07/2007, 11:28 AM
they probally arent but they look like closed zoos... or no?

melev
03/08/2007, 12:42 AM
Mine aren't very orange either.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/orangeball_anemone.jpg