PDA

View Full Version : Blue Xenia

RobSW1
03/06/2007, 08:10 PM
How expensive is this stuff? Is a 5X3 rock covered in it worth 65$ can anyone post some pics of their colonies. And does this stuff grow like normal xenia in stalks or does it grow from mats?

Rob

Shawnts106
03/07/2007, 07:47 PM
The " Blue Xenia" that your refering to is probably Anthellia, which is rather common, yes its easy to grow and very quick growing..

No you are paying too much for it for that size, We sell those at my work for like 30-40 dollars for that size, so twice that much is WAY TOO MUCH!

sir_dudeguy
03/07/2007, 08:51 PM
No way is a 5x3 rock of TRUE blue xenia only 65. A guy near me paid way more than that for a tiny little piece of it. I'll look for it online but ii'm having no luck so far.

apex003
03/07/2007, 10:38 PM
You're looking at >$100 for a small frag. The way to tell if it's cespitularia is the sclerites (see "show off some softies" thread). If you look at it parallel to the incident light (i.e. from the top with tank lights on, or straight on while shining a flashlight on it) you'll see the telltale shimmer caused by the sclerites. If you're lucky, the vendor doesn't know what they have. It's growth form is like "regular" xenia, not single stalks coming out of a mat of tissue, like anthelia.

RobSW1
03/08/2007, 08:04 AM
OK well im not going to buy the stuff because i think its anthellia. it is not in stalk form like regular xenia, it is singular cloves coming off of a common mat.

Thanks
Rob

NanoReefWanabe
03/08/2007, 08:38 AM
mmmm blue clove polyps...i have been looking for those..

not worth the drive to Florida though...

Shawnts106
03/08/2007, 09:34 PM
its not Cesptularia... aka its not TRUE BLUE XENIA...

its either blue cloves, anthellia, or sansiba.. and the chance of it being sansiba is 1/1,000,000...

but... whatever floats your boat, and if you think its worth it.. go for it, just make sure you post pictures! LOL!:rolleyes:

Puffdragon
03/28/2007, 07:54 AM
I just scored a frag of Cesptularia at Premium Aquatics and wanted to know the best place to put this frag. I have 3 tanks I could place it.
1. In my 90 LPS & SPS tank lighted by 6 T5's with high flow but no fish at the moment.
2. In a frag tank attached to this tank that is lit 24/7 with 25watt power compact and medium flow.
3. In a 65 gallon softie tank lit by PC and med/low flow. This tank has fish in it and a lot of xenia growing high up in the tank.
Thanks Allen

kiran523
03/29/2007, 01:19 PM
Here's some eye candy.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g174/drsunkavalli/BlueXenia.jpg

This is a tiny piece of blue's that fell on to a frag of Yellow encrusting Xenia's

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g174/drsunkavalli/IMG_0736.jpg

According to Anthony Calfo, Blue Xenia/Cespitularia (Whatever) will become much more blue if they are kept under VHO Actinics. Mine are under MH's and PC 50/50's. They look a lot more blue when the halides are turned off. Cheers