PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Clam attached to rock and I need to move him???

Kaiser Tang
03/06/2007, 07:52 PM
I have a Maxima clam that has grown lot over the past year. He is now too close to the front glass and I need to move him back. He is in the sand but he is backed up to a rock. It appears that he has managed to attach himself to the rock. I need to move him, but I can't move the rock. Can I free him from the rock without hurting him?

boxfishpooalot
03/06/2007, 07:58 PM
I dont think you can move it without hurting it. Probably can cut its attahment fiber away to move it but it may damage the clam. I know nothing about it....

Perhaps use a razor blade.

xenon
03/06/2007, 08:10 PM
There are tiny hair fibers in the middle of the foot that you can cut to set him free. Try to cut the hair as close to the rock as possible. It will take a few weeks to grow back but it does not hurt them one bit. I already did this with my new crocea clam and it was easy. I used an exacto knife.

AquaReeferMan
03/06/2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah you can slowly twist back and forth to get it loose and then cut the threads away. I just did this last night. I moved things from my 55g over to my 125g and needed to move me clam. I just twisted a couple of times and he came off. I didnt even need to cut it this time. I put him in last night and is already attached again. Just do it slow and you shouldnt harm it.

emora
03/07/2007, 12:24 PM
Those bissal "fibers" are the clam's weak spot. If they are damaged the clam will probably sucumb to infection and perish. You can cut them carefuly with a sharp clean blade.

xinumaster
03/07/2007, 12:27 PM
Try use a power head and blow it on the foot.

useskaforevil
03/07/2007, 01:21 PM
cutting will work, just whatever you do, do not rip him out