PDA

View Full Version : Storing cured live rock

USC-fan
03/06/2007, 08:39 PM
Best way to store cured live rock? I have extra PH, heater and even a t5 light fixture. i was thinking of getting a big cooler and putting the rock in it. Any problem with doing this? I need to store it for about a month

Any suggestion would be great.

shellshocked
03/06/2007, 09:01 PM
I have done it that way before and it works fine. I put mine in a big rubbermaid tub with normal salt water, a cheap light on a timer, and a couple of power heads. Worked great. If the temperature is going to swing a lot put a heater in the tub.

boxfishpooalot
03/06/2007, 09:02 PM
Cooler is fine. Although I think a rubbermaid would be much stronger. Im thinking your using the styrofoam cooler?

Anyways, yes just make sure its areated. If the power goes out and the water is stagnant for days or say 12 hours, things will start to die and the worst smell in the world will be in your nose. Rotten egg smell.

I did this and it was strange because all the bristle worms in the rock came to the top for oxygen. There were probably 150 of them. Also the amphipods died from O2 starvation. The air bubbler air line came loose on mine. I though "whats that smell?" I opened it up and ewww. Woms squiggggllin. :lol:

Yep keep them aerated(water movement) or even better put a cheap light over the rocks to have algae produce O2.

You need to keep them in water too by the way.

USC-fan
03/06/2007, 09:09 PM
no i will be using a standard cooler. But I do like the idea of a rubbermaid tub. I also got a extra skimmer i could hook up to keep the water aerated.

xenon
03/06/2007, 09:16 PM
While your at it you can cook your LR for a month.

Just do 100% water changes every week. You will be amazed how much junk is stored in the rocks.

USC-fan
03/06/2007, 09:22 PM
not sure if i want to cook it. what would be an advantage to doing this to cured live rock? I'm just storing it until my new tank is set up.

taketz
03/06/2007, 09:46 PM
Gets rid of alot of the Detritus that is being stored in your live rock. Like Xenon said, you'd be surprised how much junk is stored in the rocks...

If you're already going to have the rocks sitting there, you might as well try it for a week or so and if you dont think its worth it, stop.

USC-fan
03/06/2007, 09:49 PM
that sound cool.

i will try that for sure.

thanks

muzz
03/06/2007, 09:50 PM
what exactly is cooking live rock? I have not been able to find the post that explains it, bet I have heard it mentioned many times on here...........

boxfishpooalot
03/06/2007, 09:53 PM
Its simply keeping the rock in saltwater in the darkness for months. Doing this kills off photosythetic life(algae) and lets bacteria get a hold of the rock to remove organics in the rock.

Its just a fancy word for soaking rock in the dark. Or curing it in the dark.Imo it does nothing special. But the appearance of the rock being white and algae free is nice for the time it lasts.

taketz
03/06/2007, 09:55 PM
My basic understanding of it is just sitting the rocks in water, water flow and darkness being a plus, and doing waterchanges weekly or so to remove the detritus being shed.

Its pretty much exactely what 'cooking rock' sounds like. The whole point of this is to limit the amount of detritus being brought into the system from the rock itself and is used mostly in BB tanks, though I don't see why it wouldn't be beneficial in other applications...

Not an expert by anymeans though, thats just my understanding of it.

MikeD
03/27/2007, 07:11 AM
I thought we wanted all that life and diversity to stay on the cured live rock... It would take forever for it to all come back...

USC-fan
03/27/2007, 07:26 PM
it will come back in a couple of months. I didn't end up cooking my rock. Its just sitting in my fuge until my new tank is setup.

marie
03/27/2007, 07:59 PM
For those who don't know cooking live rock does not require high heat, ovens, bbqs or pressure cookers. It is keeping rock in a tub with saltwater, a power head and a heater (just to keep the temp at 78) While corraline algae doesn't like it everything else does. Pods, worms, featherdusters and bacterias thrive under these conditions :D

MikeD
03/27/2007, 09:58 PM
I just picked up some rock today that I need to store for about 2 months. It has some great coralline coverage and tons of zoos all over (plus some long tentacle anemones that wouldn't get off!) I'm storing it all in a 37gal rubbermaid bin with some powercompact and two t5 strip lamp until I can retro fit something to get one 250Mh over the thing. Hopefully, this will keep the corals and anemones alive until I move... What do you think?

USC-fan
03/28/2007, 04:10 PM
do a lot of water changes and also have good water movement. You should be okay.

MikeD
03/28/2007, 04:15 PM
And if I decide to 'cook' the LR, won't some of the 'problem' things still remain such a majano and aiptasia?

USC-fan
03/28/2007, 04:20 PM
maybe but they will have no food to live on.