PDA

View Full Version : New to the RFH Two part and possibly confused

BCOrchidGuy
03/06/2007, 10:44 PM
Hi folks I don't get on this site very often but when I do the information is always top notch.

I've recently set up a 60 gallon cube with a 27gallon sump that's about half full (volume) so I guess I'm close to a 75 gallon system. I have mainly SPS frags but a couple of LPS as well. I got my Dow flake today and the Epsom salts, before I get the baking soda I have to ask, do I use the same amounts of baking soda if I don't want to bake it? Next question is I've got some Seachem buffer (dry) can I use this and if so how much should I use for my solution. Last question, if I'm adding 12mls of each solution every day, should I maybe add 1.5mls of the magnesium each day as well?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and help

Doug

PatMayo
03/06/2007, 11:31 PM
You need to test the tank. There is no way for anyone to tell you how much to use of any of those things. I would read the directions on Seachem buffer. Most folks don't use the epsom salts anymore. It leaves undesirables in the tank after awhile.

Magnesium is used a lot slower than the other things. I only dose mag once per water change and its not very much.

Baking you use 2 1/4 cups. Not baking use 1 1/8 cups. Both to one gallon of water.

You should see Randys Newer formula for a better magnesium part. I can't find the ingredient so I use a commercial product.

Here is a link to the new formulation.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Regards,

Pat

BCOrchidGuy
03/06/2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks Pat for the quick reply, as for the epsom salts, I can't find the Mag Flake out here, I can order it from back east but it's stupidly expensive ($2/lbs). As far as the Seachem buffer, I was just wondering if I could add it as a replacement for the baking soda. So you mean if I go to the trouble of baking the baking soda I'll have to use twice as much?

Doug

PatMayo
03/06/2007, 11:52 PM
Yes that is true.

I use ESV Liquid Magnesium. I buy it a gallon at a time from Marine Depot. It lasts a long time.

Buffers are usually not a good way to maintain anything, short term only.

Regards,

Pat

BCOrchidGuy
03/06/2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks again Pat.

Doug

bertoni
03/07/2007, 02:07 AM
Which SeaChem buffer product do you have? The products labelled "Marine" are not suitable for reef tanks.

Baking the baking soda converts it to sodium carbonate, which raises pH, and also is more soluble in water. So the recipe with baked baking soda is twice as potent as the plain baking soda version. If you're dosing dry supplement directly, the same volume is required in both cases, for the most part.

Frick-n-Frags
03/07/2007, 07:09 AM
baking soda = pH 8
washing soda (baked baking soda) = pH 9
6:1 baking:washing = 8.3 pH.
That's where that comes from

as mentioned:

YOU MUST TEST. PERIOD

for instance. My kalk dripping tends to kick the pH up too high, so I usually only buffer with baking soda to pull it down. If the pH is still hanging high, I back off the kalk and just use a shot of calcium chloride/dowflake whatever. I would not know this without my alk/Ca/pH testing.

BCOrchidGuy
03/07/2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the replies, to be clear, I am NOT asking so I can avoid testing I was simply asking if Reef buffer could be substituted for baking soda and if so, how much Reef buffer do I add to 1 gallon of water to make the same stock solution as I would with baking soda. When I say if I add 12mls of the two, should I add 1.5mls of the Mag that was simply what the recommended daily dose is for my 60 gallon tank, again I'm not trying to avoid testing just working with the recommended doses.

Bertoni, thanks that makes more sense, the way I read Pat's reply would indicate that I'd use 2 times as much once it's baked which didn't make sense to me, I thought why go to the trouble then.

A quick web search on washing soda tells me the pH of washing soda is 11 not 9.

Doug

bertoni
03/07/2007, 03:49 PM
Reef Buffer should be fine, and I'd guess it's about the same effect as using baking soda. I'd just mix up the 2-part accordingly and watch the results. You might need to do a bit of tinkering with the alkalinity part.

mattboy
03/07/2007, 08:06 PM
I think the question about your seachem buffer should be: is it sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate? If it's sodium bicarbonate use it just like baking soda. I bet you a dollar (is that allowed on RC?) it's mostly sodium carbonate. (washing soda)

Here's a nice calculator that will tell you the exact difference in dosage between your reef buffer and baking soda.
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejdieck1/chem_calc3.html