PDA

View Full Version : calcium trouble---again.

Sk8r
03/07/2007, 10:38 AM
I had an overdose of CA and alk while I was out of my head with the flu. It cost me a bunch of corals. Alk is now normal at 8.3, but CA remains high, and I'd like to bring it down. Ordinarily coral consumption would bring it back down pretty fast, but due to the dieoff, this is not happening and it's not making the survivors happy.

I use Oceanic salt @ 1.025, ro/di topoff with a 0 TDS, and have a CA level of about 520, Salifert test.

I'd counted on the impending house move to help out on this, but we've been stalled another 2 weeks and I really am worried about my survivors among the sps. I've got a clam in there who's probably doing his part to suck it up, but that level hasn't budged downward in a week.

Any suggestions?

boxfishpooalot
03/07/2007, 11:29 AM
The best way to lower calcium is by water changes. Or let it come down on its own on heaters ect. How high is the calcium?

Sk8r
03/07/2007, 11:36 AM
About 520, and I've been fighting it down to here. I know there can be a 20 point error in the test, but my corals are suffering from it, and for all I know, the error is in the other direction. I've thought of doing a series of 20% water changes, one a day or every 2 days, and don't mind doing it---it's a 54g---but want to have some idea if it's going to work. By what you say it will, so I guess I start running ro/di soon's I get back from errands.

boxfishpooalot
03/07/2007, 12:10 PM
I dont think its prudent to lower calcium thats 520ppm with water changes. But if you want to its no problem.

If corals are still dying you might want to test ammonia and nitrates/phospates and call that the culprit.

bertoni
03/07/2007, 04:30 PM
I'm not convinced that level of calcium is the problem, but water changes might help with other issues. I'd also run lots of fresh carbon. That might help with any remaining toxins.

Sk8r
03/07/2007, 05:01 PM
We are making progress, I think. I've *never* had an ammonia problem, but due to the dieoff, I think that's one part of the picture. I turned up a nitrate reading, and added Amquel with fingers crossed. I'm putting in carbon. That's got to be part of it. Part of it I fear is a sandbed that's on the verge of calamity. This tank needs a rework, which I am going to give it in two weeks when we move, but right now I've got to do something to give it some help. I did NOT do an additional water change yet: my ro/di is pretty slow. As I well know, my minimal knowledge of chemistry is just enough to get me into real trouble, because I'm a bit dyslexic when it comes to chemical reactions. I'm just incredibly apt to pick the wrong direction because I remember the parts of the reaction, but not the direction. Sigh.

At any rate, I was thoroughly blitzed by fever when I doubled up on additives several times and got myself into this mess in the first place.

What I did with the Amquel is at least getting a bloom out of the shriveled discosoma mushrooms, which are expanding visibly. I'd ordinarily rather walk over fire than put a miracle additive into my tank, but clearly with what was going on, it can't get much worse. I'm going to go put some carbon in, and see if we can't get this thing turned around.

Thanks, all, for your patient help with the Wrongway Corrigan of chemistry.