PDA

View Full Version : Are there any nano calcium reactors?

ezcompany
03/07/2007, 11:39 AM
The smallest one i was able to find is this:

PCI CR-70 Calcium Reactor 100gals

* CR-70 Calcium Reactor for aquariums up to 100 gallons.
* Footprint 8" x 6"
* Incluces high quality pump and bubble counter
* Inside cylinder approx 2"
* Total Height 20"

http://www.justphish.com/images/pcicr70reactor.jpg

My set up is around 25 gallons of total water volume. Will this be a stable (cheaper) system or am I still better off with a litermeter III dosing homemade 2 parts?

Navyblue
03/07/2007, 12:02 PM
Some of the smallest and cheapest:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AM-76004&Category_Code=creactor

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SCH-PICO&Category_Code=creactor

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ESU-33502&Category_Code=creactor

ezcompany
03/07/2007, 12:22 PM
i am totally new to the calcium reactor scene. are those units able to maintain alkalinity automatically as well? they all seem to be rated for over 100 gallons also. will this be a problem? how does the "bubbles" work?

how about this calcium reactor:

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17283&cat=346&page=1

Navyblue
03/07/2007, 12:34 PM
A calcium reactor basically is a container that dissolves calcium carbonate media and add it to the tank. The bubble counter is used a guide so that you know what is the rate of CO2 you are pumping in. The CO2 will dissolve in water and acidify the water and allowing it to dissolve the calcium carbonate media. And this water that contains the dissolved calcium and carbonate will flow into your tank.

Any calcium reactor automatically adds a balanced amount of calcium and carbonate into the water.

Actually the manufacturer's rating is nothing more than a rough guideline. you can throttle the output of the reactor by adjusting the effluent flowrate and the CO2 injection rate.

GSMguy
03/07/2007, 12:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9417567#post9417567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
i am totally new to the calcium reactor scene. are those units able to maintain alkalinity automatically as well? they all seem to be rated for over 100 gallons also. will this be a problem? how does the "bubbles" work?

how about this calcium reactor:

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17283&cat=346&page=1
hey ez i have a buddy who has a 29g biocube all modded up and he found this really nice small sized reactor that really kicks but on a small tank it has an ehiem pump and is all handmade acrylic it looks and works great i will ask him to give me the links to info on it
i think its for 50g and under
Nick

ezcompany
03/07/2007, 12:47 PM
thanks Nick, that would help greatly.
I just hear all these things that for nano tanks, the calcium reactors have a hard time producing bubbles in minute quantities.
How does the first calcium reactor look? Is PCI a good brand?

Kinetic
03/07/2007, 12:47 PM
I got mine from aquaticsystemsdesign dot com (scott). Amazing work, uses an eheim pump for recirculation, and it's a bit less than 6" x 6" with everything. Supports at least 65 gallons heavily stocked (tried for at least a year and a half now on a 65 w/o problems and good Ca).

Talk to Scott. He makes them per order, so you could probably see if he can make it a custom size for you too.

Kinetic
03/07/2007, 12:49 PM
Here are some pix... btw I ordered the entire package with regulator and all plumbing etc ready to plug n play, scott was SUPER helpful. He even stopped eating dinner to take my order, even after I said it was totally fine to call back! He was very accomodating:

http://i.xkinetic.net/1-07/ca_reactor/ca_reactor1.jpg

http://i.xkinetic.net/1-07/ca_reactor/ca_reactor2.jpg

http://i.xkinetic.net/1-07/ca_reactor/ca_reactor3.jpg

ezcompany
03/07/2007, 12:49 PM
thanks Kinetic, are the prices reasonable? (as in less than a litermeterIII)

and btw, I have no sump, is it feasible to install it in the back of a 24 gallon all in one? (Aquapod)

Kinetic
03/07/2007, 12:53 PM
my whole package was $300 something everything included. Pretty good if you ask me. Regular reactors are usually $300 something alone.

I know used systems are about $300, but this is brand new stuff, all pretty with all the plumbing and everything hooked up already. Oh heck, he also throws in Ca media. So it's literally, plug and play.

EDIT: Just remembered, only thing that wasn't included was a ph controller / probe that I already have on my aquacontroller III.

Kinetic
03/07/2007, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9417783#post9417783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
thanks Kinetic, are the prices reasonable? (as in less than a litermeterIII)

and btw, I have no sump, is it feasible to install it in the back of a 24 gallon all in one? (Aquapod)

It doesn't need a sump, just need to route the plumbing correctly. You'll need a MJ 400 or equivalent to feed the reactor, so given that will fit in the back compartment, you should be good to go. I'm not very familiar with the aquapods so I'm not too sure, but I think a MJ400 will fit =)

ezcompany
03/07/2007, 12:57 PM
i can fit a mj400 no problem.
why is the ph controller / probe needed?
sorry for all the questions, but i really appreciate the help bud :)

bamann345
03/07/2007, 01:28 PM
I also have a nano reactor from Scott. I was the first one to get one and I have never looked back! The reactor works wonderful and I have never needed to add chemicals to the tank since setting the reactor up.

The reactor is a reverse flow design and uses co2 very efficiently. I have a 2.5 lbs tank and have been using it for close to a year. The only item I would upgrade on the reactor is a neddle valve for the reactor output so you can get the drip rate exactly where you would like it.

Scott is a wonderful guy and will stand behind his work. Since I had the 1st one, he said if I was EVER unhappy I could send it back for a full refund.

If you take the pludge, you will never look back!

William

Kinetic
03/07/2007, 01:42 PM
The controller basically determines when to shoot the co2. The co2 is what changes the ph in the reactor, thus putting the calcium into the water stream. I'm no expert, but that's basically what it does I believe.

So the controller using the probe will monitor the pH level, it needs to be around 6 or so, because at that level the media will start to "melt" and put calcium into the water column. The co2 is what keeps the pH low, so when the pH rises (naturally SW is around 7 something), the co2 will shoot to bump it down.

This also helps control high pH levels in your tank as well.

But anyway, if someone with more experience can chime in that'd be great. Bottom line is, you need the controller + probe combo as well to have it work.

GSMguy
03/07/2007, 02:15 PM
that is the same one my friend showed me 300 for the cO2 tank and everything is a great price

jcm2m9
03/07/2007, 03:34 PM
I also have a nano reactor from ASD. Scott is an awesome guy. Give him a call and he will get you hooked up

ezcompany
03/07/2007, 03:36 PM
im guessing with the controller and probe combo, its going to be almost the same price as a litermeter iii?

Kinetic
03/07/2007, 03:44 PM
not sure, double check with scott, he can give you pricing for everything you'll need.

ezcompany
03/08/2007, 11:47 AM
i will email him, thanks kinetic.
anymore options out there?

ccoral
03/08/2007, 12:10 PM
I just saw one at the last show. Retail only about 90.00 can be used with a paintball regulator and bottle. Acro calcium reactor looks the company said would be available in 3 weeks

GSMguy
03/08/2007, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9426809#post9426809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccoral
I just saw one at the last show. Retail only about 90.00 can be used with a paintball regulator and bottle. Acro calcium reactor looks the company said would be available in 3 weeks
whats the company?

ccoral
03/08/2007, 02:38 PM
commodity axis/taam inc

GSMguy
03/08/2007, 03:15 PM
so are Tamm/Axis and Rio/seio all the same company?

ezcompany
03/12/2007, 05:47 PM
bump, any more options? im exchanging info with scott atm

mdt178
03/12/2007, 09:09 PM
schuran pico reactor.
mrc hot calcium reactor.

katchupoy
03/13/2007, 12:24 AM
what about this one...

check this
http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=calcium_reactor_kit&Category_Code=g1&Product_Count=8

and read this.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1062911&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

revance
03/13/2007, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't just dripping kalk be much easier for a nano (not to mention cheaper)? The main purpose of using a calcium reactor is to keep up with high demand tanks.

I would also worry about the pH swings due to a calcium reactor in a nano. If you just buy a dosing pump and have it drip kalk at night, it will actually help stabilize your pH.

Another benefit of kalk as opposed to a calcium reactor is that calcium reactors will leech small amounts of unwanted stuff (phosphate, heavy metals, etc.) while kalk not only precipitates out all the nasties before being added to the tank, it actually precipitates phosphate out of the tank water!

Don't get me wrong, calcium reactors are wonderful for big tanks where other supplementation would be difficult, but on a nano I wouldn't bother with one.

ezcompany
03/13/2007, 05:17 PM
revance: my calcium demand is insane for a nano. i need to does 220 ml of each 2 part everyday. kalk is simply not enough. what other nasties are you talking about that may be released?

I am leaning towards the calcium reactor Kinetic suggested me. Scott has been very helpful so far. Im looking for least cost and work, but i am not skimping on low quality equipment. The most important factor is stability, i would like to know what i can leave my tank for 1 month and it will still be solid.

Figuring out the annual upkeep of the LItermeter III, the only cost i incur is the water hardener and baking soda, plus the manual labor of mixing the batch.

Water hardener: $30 (year supply estimate)
Baking soda: $10 (year supply estimate)
plus manual labor

The calcium reactor on the other hand, needs a ph controller, and ph probes need to be replaced annualy at $50 bucks a pop, along with the media.

ph probe: $50 (yearly)
calcium media: $15
co2 refil: $$???

the cost of the litermeter set up and the reactor set up is very similar. (they both suck)

who would've thought i'd run across this dillemma for 24 gallons....

katchupoy, i've read the 2nd link already :) and i've heard some bad things about the coralife, but i forget what.

revance
03/13/2007, 06:20 PM
Are you using 220mL of BOTH the calcium and alkalinity 2-part or combined 220mL?

If you really are using 220mL each, then yeah... kalk isn't going to cut it. I think that is the equivalent of like 4 gallons of kalk.

I'm suprised you are using that much in a 24g. I guess a reactor is your best bet. As for the "other nasties"... I forget who did the study, but someone analyzed all the different medias and found different stuff being dissolved into the water. Not enough to give up a calcium reactor, but something to consider when deciding on your supplement method. As I said, calc reactors are great, I just figured it was unnecessary for a nano.

revance
03/13/2007, 06:23 PM
One other thing...

You don't need to replace pH probes yearly. Just replace them when it no longer calibrates easily. Not like it really has to be all that accurate for a calcium reactor anyway, it just needs to be consistent.

cajunboy
03/13/2007, 06:45 PM
still have my ph probe for 1yr plus and don't need to change it out anytime soon. I tagging along since i would like to know about this small calcium reactor. please do a tread about it when you get the product in.

ezcompany
03/13/2007, 07:05 PM
yes, 220 ml of both calcium and alk of randy's 2 part solution every freakin day lol

sps nano with 5 maximas

Kinetic
03/13/2007, 08:48 PM
5 maximas in a 24? no wonder =P

revance
03/13/2007, 09:08 PM
Oh, Randy's formula... I thought you were using B-ionic. Makes quite a difference. That isn't nearly as much as if it were the B-Ionic stuff. That is still a bit over a gallon of kalk though, so a calcium reactor would still be beneficial as I doubt you evaporate more than a gallon a day.

ezcompany
03/14/2007, 10:28 AM
yeah, if i was using B-Ionic i'd be flat broke a long time ago. i know its more diluted, but it still seems a bit much.

new breakdown:

2 part with dosing pump: Litermeter III $400 +/-
Water hardener: $30 (year supply estimate)
Baking soda: $10 (year supply estimate)
plus manual labor everytime mixing 5 gallons. It takes me about 18 days to use 1 gallon currently, so it would be every 90 days or 3 months for me to mix up a new batch. probably less as my corals demand more.

Calcium Reactor
PH Probe with calibration stuff $50
Calcium media: $15
CO2: ??? how much is this??

Advantage of Reactor: Not having to worry about alkalinity (IS THIS TRUE???) it would be nice if it was automatically balanced with alk and ca. That being said, how long can i set a reactor and forget about it?

ezcompany
03/15/2007, 02:23 PM
^

revance
03/15/2007, 02:40 PM
C02 costs vary depending on where you live. It is not very expensive and lasts a long time. I think it costs me about $7 to fill my tank.

Yes a "calcium" reactor (CaCO3 reactor) will also add alkalinity to your water in the correct ratio. Most people set it and forget it until there is a change in calcium/alkalinity demand in their tank.

ezcompany
03/16/2007, 01:34 PM
i see, so where do you get the co2 refilled?
and can someone tell me how the PH control stuff works? how would i hook it up to the reef keeper 2?

ezcompany
03/18/2007, 07:55 PM
bump

Kinetic
03/18/2007, 08:05 PM
co2 can be filled at any welding shop

ccoral
03/19/2007, 11:43 AM
for small reactors you can use the paint ball units with regulator like from hydor or redsea. Paint ball containers are cheap and you can buy anywhere

ezcompany
03/21/2007, 06:30 PM
how reliable are Korallin reactors used?

Kinetic
03/21/2007, 09:04 PM
if the reactor doesn't leak, and you get new plumbing, you should be fine.

ezcompany
03/22/2007, 12:01 PM
so far based on my limited research, the schuran pico seems to be the top dog in the nano reactor field. however here is an exact quote i received found on some thread:

"my lfs sells schuran stuff. the pico is really expensive for what you get, it is cheaply made imo and nothing special. for $300 i would buy a full size one from a number of other makers."

that being said, i also found out that H&S makes reactors, http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AO&Product_Code=HSCA-110CR-F1000&Category_Code=HSCA

i know H&S makes fantastic skimmers, how about reactors?

ezcompany
03/22/2007, 08:34 PM
bump!

ezcompany
03/26/2007, 06:20 PM
-_-

GSMguy
03/26/2007, 06:37 PM
i have a feeling the one we were discussing on page one the custom one is better than the pico i myself have held a pico and it seemed cheap the other one looks like GEO quality

GobyJohnKenobi
03/26/2007, 07:48 PM
I remember seeing a used Schuran Pico for sale a while back.

It needed a major repair when it tipped over onto its side and snapped off the pipes. Unbelievable for something that costs that much from a brand with that reputation.
Even better than Korallin? HUH?

Just thought you'd like to know.

I've been looking into a small one for a 65. Great thread. Thanks!

ezcompany
03/27/2007, 02:06 AM
so Picos are cheaply built....

ccoral
04/04/2007, 11:15 AM
Check this one out it. I have been using it for about a month. It works great and only invested a total of 200.00 with the paint ball regulator and 22 oz container.
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/itemdetail.asp?itemid=CR-VAACRO-AC-10

puttytang
04/04/2007, 11:58 AM
EZ...Have you checked out MRC Nano reactor? I have this reactor but i am still in the process of gathering all the other gadgets.

ezcompany
05/31/2007, 06:55 PM
btw guys, i ended up with a Deltec PF509, i just didn't set it up cuz of my tank crash..

cajunboy
05/31/2007, 08:39 PM
sorry to hear about your tank crash, but when you have the chance to set it up please post pic. i would love to see how you going to set it up with such a small tank. i have 28bf and looking into cal reactor

Kinetic
05/31/2007, 10:37 PM
tank crash? oh no!

GSMguy
06/02/2007, 11:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10053398#post10053398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
btw guys, i ended up with a Deltec PF509, i just didn't set it up cuz of my tank crash..

EZ i had a mini crash too

vacation+heat of summer=about 7 casualties

hope you were able to save some livestock
:(