PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Skimmer - Tank Size

Slphappy
03/07/2007, 12:08 PM
Hey all...
Got a quick noob question... Should I choose a skimmer based strictly on tank size or should I choose one based on total siystem volume?

The skimmer I'm looking at says it's recommended for tanks up to 250 gallons. Say that covers my tank volume but the total system volume is greater... Should I be looking at a bigger skimmer? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Slphappy

papagimp
03/07/2007, 12:48 PM
You should choose one based on performance of the unit. I have a SeaClone 150 right now. It works marvelously without any modifications to it, but it's only running on a 55g tank. I would never put this crappy of a unit on a 150g tank. I would recommend you go larger than the "recommended" tank size of the skimmer. If you total system is over 250g and the skimmer is only for a 250, go bigger.

Alot will also depend on the brand skimmer though. Best to look up the various skimmers on the market, find out which ones are working the "best" for most people, and find which model of that you'll need.

jer77
03/07/2007, 01:05 PM
What skimmer are you looking at and what is your total water volume?

Henry Bowman
03/07/2007, 01:08 PM
Take the entire water volume and purchase a skimmer rated for 1.5X the size. IE if you have 100 gl total tank and sump, buy a skimmer rated for a 150. Many skimmer companies are relatively optimistic with regard to the capacity of thier skimmers. Other thank the tank and lights, the skimmer is the most important single component you can purchase for your tank.

FWIW

Slphappy
03/07/2007, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9417930#post9417930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jer77
What skimmer are you looking at and what is your total water volume?

Thanks for the replies...

I'm looking at the ATI Bubblemaster http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/Protein_Skimmers/ATI_Bubble_Master/ . I've heard some really good things about them.

I'm in the planning stages, so nothing is built yet. I'm estimating the total water volume at around 500 gallons. So I imagine I'll be looking at the Bubble master 250.

Henry Bowman
03/07/2007, 03:31 PM
I know that good things are being said about the BM. You should also look at H&S, Deltec and Euroreef. Be sure to check the skimmer footprint size so that you have room for it if you are going in sump. BTW recirculating skimmers are said to have 15-20% better efficiency, something to look into.