PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice?

BENWILDOG
03/07/2007, 12:22 PM
I have had my 110 gallon reef up for around 3 years now and have recently come across 2 major issue that are really trying my patience.
The fisrst issue was I had a Hydroid outbreak which covered 4-5 very large rocks. Killed some of that off, but it left a network of roots all over the rocks and then what i am assuming is hair algae took over ( sort of a brown/ green slimy algae) long strands in some areas. My parameters are all good, according to my test kits. I have cut lights down from 8 hours on the 400 watt MH's to 5 hours and the vho actinics from 10 to 7 hours. Changed 25 gallons of water last weekend. Still no change. Do I need to try to remove the rocks? Or is there something else I can try? Really pretty frustrated. Most of the corals have no change. Polyps are closed and tooth coral not liking it too much. Advice? I also cut feedings way back

zoomfish1
03/07/2007, 01:27 PM
No advice, but I'll bump it up for ya. I've never had hydroids, so I can't offer any suggestions.

illal
03/07/2007, 01:33 PM
what kind of test are you using??? i plan on switching over to salifert ...suposivly there pretty acurate

BENWILDOG
03/07/2007, 01:50 PM
USING RED SEA TESTS NOW. PROBABLY DUE FOR SOME NEW ONES, BUT PO4, NO2, NO3, NH3 ALL NEGATIVE. PH= 8.2 TEMP 77, SG=1.025 MY CA IS GOOD. ANY OTHER TESTS I SHOULD BE DOING.
I ALSO TESTED THE SOURCE WATER AND IT IS NEGATIVE AS WELL
IM STUMPED.
HYDROIDS ARE TINY POM POM LOOKING ORGANISMS THAT LOOK LIKE FEATHER DUSTERS. HAD ONE ON A GREEN STAR POLYP ROCK I GOT AND THOUGHT NOTHING OF IT. ONE MONTH LATER IT WAS EVERYWHERE. WISH I COULD GO BACK IN TIME. BIGGEST NUISANCE IVE EVER HAD. UP UNTIL THIS ALGAE W/ HYDROID COMBO I HAVE NOW.