PDA

View Full Version : how many chromis should i add?

DMK
03/07/2007, 12:25 PM
i have a 4 yr old 92 corner, SPS, w/ alot of LR and ALOT of flow. around 100X turnover. not sure if chromis like alot of flow but current fish don't mind. other fish are a peaceful maroon clown pair w/ RBTA, purple tang, algae blenny, 6line and a bangai cardinal. i want to add 3-5 blue/green chromis to give tank some more movement/color. i heard u are supposed to add an odd number...? how many would be best, 3,5 or 7?

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/07/2007, 12:26 PM
5 - imo....and they love flow :)

tangyreefer05
03/07/2007, 12:28 PM
Well most people seem to say that they kill each other off over time. Others have better luck, it might have something to do with how much they are fed too. They are known to be pretty ruthless against each other, similar to a African cichlid.

Sorry I don't know if adding 3 would be better vs 5 or vice versa, anyone else?

DMK
03/07/2007, 12:34 PM
i didn't know they fight amongst themselves. i keep my fish fed well so hopefully they will not fight. i'm wondering how my 6line and PT will treat them. my clowns do their own thing all day w/ RBTA. the PT and 6line can be aggressive. the 6line stressed a new royal gramma to death in 1 day. the PT did the same to a new foxface over 2 days. since the chromis are small, and there's going to be more than a few of them, maybe there will not be a problem.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/07/2007, 12:41 PM
you'll have multiple chromis though...so it is hard for the aggressive fish to keep track of which one is which...also if you feed daily the squabling and mouth to mouth fighting should not occur.
At least this is has been my experience. I had 5 in my old 210g and I have 5 in my current 58g. Never lost one to illness or fighting in over 2+ years. I feed daily.

davocean
03/07/2007, 12:53 PM
I don't take stock in odd or even.
I've had the same 6 for in my 90 almost 5 yrs now, no aggression whatsoever.

srbball22
03/07/2007, 03:17 PM
I have had 5 in my 65 gallon for over a year now, while the larger ones do show there dominance to the smaller ones, there is never any harm done and the 5 i have are the originals ones i got.

lakwriter
03/07/2007, 06:47 PM
5 is a good number. If you add them all at the same time, you shouldn't have agression issues. Chromis aren't nearly as agressive as their damsel bretheren.

KyleO
03/07/2007, 11:30 PM
My wife talked me into getting 8 green chromis. Even though I really didn't want Chromis at all, I have to admit that the little school is very cool. They love the flow and the other fish leave them alone.

I have come to really like Chromis!

DMK
03/08/2007, 10:56 AM
i bought 5. they're hanging together and doing well since adding last night. no fish bothered them. my huge bangai cardinal, who i sometimes feed 1/2 of a silverside no problem, swam up behind 1 as soon as i added, i thought he was going to suck it in, but didn't. since then, he also doesn't seem to mind them. they look cool.