PDA

View Full Version : Size wood

EWC88
03/07/2007, 03:22 PM
Hi guys, I think I will be able to build myself a stand for my 37g. I was just wondering what would be the right size wood? 2x4? you think

SaltyDr
03/07/2007, 04:06 PM
2x4 should be fine. Make sure it is braced very well. If you have any concerns, you can nail 2 2x4 together. Look at the DIY forum/pictures.

MechEng99
03/07/2007, 04:56 PM
I have a custom built 40g stand. I used 2x4's and 4x4's in some places (ok, I over engineered.) The size wood isn't so much important as how level it is and how much bracing you do (brackets, wood glue, screws, nails, yada yada).

One important thing to remember, for, let's say the top piece that runs lengthwise, with the board running lengthwise, use the side of the board with the least amount of surface area, and have the side with the most surface area (most wide) face you. This will help prevent bowing of the wood with the weight of the tank.

bassist6108
03/07/2007, 05:00 PM
EWC88, you will probably get better answers in the DIY forum. And you can google DIY fish tank stands for some basic plans. I also made a stand for my 40g breeder, and over built it as well. I used mainly 4x4's, and though everybody will tell you that it's too much (commercial stands are made with crappy pressed plywood and weigh very little), I am 100% sure that there will be no problems. Also, I can turn this into a butcher-topped kitchen island in the future, should I ever choose. So, plan ahead and get some basic plans here and through google. Good luck!

gburton
03/07/2007, 05:07 PM
Good luck on making one. I think that they really make your tank stand out. I made one for my 75gal. tank. It is 34'' tall and I put it on 2'' wheels. I did this so that I could actually move the tank from the wall. I didn't want any doors on it to take away from the look. The way I constructed it was with 2x4s. In the corners I placed one 2x4 perpendicular to another one, so the side of one was touching the face of the other one. I did this in each corner. I used metal brackets to hold them together with wood screws. I then put a piece of 3/4'' plywood as a shelf on the bottom to set my sump, protein skimmer, etc. I finished it off with a piece of 1/4'' alder plywood wrapped around. Each corner has a corner molding on it and a 1.5'' molding on the top and bottom. I also brought the alder plywood up about an inch to cover up the black bottom trim of my fish tank. Basically you can not see the black molding on the bottom of the tank. If you go with wheel, which I strongly suggest if you have hardwood floors or tile is go as big as you possibly can. The weight of everything in your tank will add up very fast and max out the wheel capacity. Again, Good luck.

Shagsbeard
03/07/2007, 05:13 PM
2x4s are way over what you need... thing is, most people aren't designing for optimal. The little space you save by using smaller wood isn't all that much. Since you're only building a single stand, the savings in cost by using as little wood as necessary is minor. If you built 100's of them a year, you would want to use as little as possible. These stands made with 2x4s could support a full sized truck... easily.

Bracing and leveling should be your primary concern... not weight capacity.