PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your lyretail anthias?

wpbfishguy
03/07/2007, 07:09 PM
I just got some lyretail anthias and was wondering what to feed them. I put some cyclopeze in the tank and I think they ate but can't say for sure. I know they did not touch any of the pellet food from the automatic feeder. Also is is too soon for them to eat since I just got them yesterday? Thanks

James983
03/07/2007, 08:16 PM
I had the same problem with a pair of Fatheads I picked up 2 weeks ago. Started them on live brine soaked in Selcon. 1 has started accepting frozed Mysis, the other has not. They do sometimes take frozen cyclopeez, but not enough to feel confident about. Give the live brine a try and see it you can coax them into frozen. Good luck!

CeeGee
03/07/2007, 09:15 PM
I have heard that the fatheads are difficult to keep. They are very beatiful. Good luck with yours.

Skipper
03/07/2007, 09:24 PM
Here's an article in Reefkeeping Magazine that has a section on feeding Anthias:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/hcs3/index.php

And here's another general article about Anthias:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/hcs3/index.php

HTH

wpbfishguy
03/07/2007, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the article skipper that is exactly what I was looking for. Wow does anyone keep eight females with one male though. I bought five females thinking that that was enough with one male but I guess aggression will slowly kill the females off...I guesss I will order three more females to be safe.

SDguy
03/08/2007, 12:16 AM
I have 1 male/3 females. He isn't that aggressive...certainly not enough to cause any females to die. I would not jump to buy more...see how your 5 do first.

Mine love all things frozen. A couple will eat flakes/pellets, but not happily. Their favorite is simple minced raw shrimp from the grocery store. They will eat until it's hanging out of their mouths and they look like they swallowed a marble.

HTH

wpbfishguy
03/08/2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah I agree I think I will hold off on ordering 3 more females. The male hides in the rock most of the time and the females are out swimming. I think I will go to the LFS and get a bunch of frozen brine and mysis and see how they do.

leeweber85
03/08/2007, 12:56 AM
Mine seem to like mysis the most. Theyalso like ocean plankton, reef plankton, cyclopeeze, brine, rods reef, and formula 1 pellets now... but I wouldnt say they enjoy it too much.