PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer not Skimming & Phosphate Reactor

blureef1
03/08/2007, 07:45 AM
I have Euro reef 6-2 on my 50g. Its been running great for several years. On Tuesday evening I set up a Phosphate reactor and started running phosban. The skimmer has been producing a lot of bubbles but is not skimming (no foam at the top etc). I know that skimmers take some time to break in and this is often related to the acrylic used for the skimmer.

Do you think the new acrylic of my phosphate reactor is the issue or do you think the phosban is the issue? Anyone else experience something like this?

Thanks

toccata
03/08/2007, 08:54 AM
I don't use phosban, I use rowaPhos. When I change out the media, even after running the system into a bucket to get rid all off the 'dust', the skimmer stops skimming. That will last for a few hours and then it's back to business. I would say give a little more time. If that does not work you can always remove the phosban reactor and see if the skimmer starts working again..

jim.l
03/08/2007, 09:00 AM
Make sure that the phosban is only tumbling lightly. It must move or it will compact, but too much flow through the reactor and it breaks down / powders. That can cause your problem also.

blureef1
03/08/2007, 10:49 AM
I have watched the flow through the reactor quite closely. I think I have it dialed in pretty well at this point. Slight tumbling.

Thanks