PDA

View Full Version : Help

gillies
03/08/2007, 09:56 AM
My tank just isn't doing well. It has been running for five years now. It's mostly SPS, a couple small LPS, one RBTA, a flame hawk and sebae clown (I've always had only two fish). You can see in my sig line what my set up is.

The aptasia are out of control. Valonia is a plague. Hair algae was a problem, but now cyano has reared its head and is killing that off while it covers everything else. Some of my SPS is STNing, the euphyllia look bad and the RBTA won't open up any more. The tank looks bad despite my best efforts.

I only feed small amounts to two fish once a day. I test and parameters are fine - especially nitrate, phosphate and silicate. Actually, I've never had an issue with any water levels. I'm not new to the hobby. I'm also no Calfo, but I've always had very good success with my efforts - until now.

The whole thing has me so down, I'm seriously considering shutting the tank down for a while. I'd keep my equipment (thousands invested as you all know), but I feel bad for my fish. I love those two guys. I don't want them to go to another home. I don't know what to do.

650-IS350
03/08/2007, 10:36 AM
Aptasia- natural predators = pepermint shrimp or berghia nudibranchs.

Cyano- do a lot of water changes, add more flow to your tank, meaning stronger power heads or more of em', some use chemiclean or something like that... I haven't

STN- cut out the bad stuff to the point where some good tissue still reside... save as much coral as you can...

what kind of test kit are you using anyways...?
RO/DI ?

gillies
03/08/2007, 12:09 PM
delsol650,

All sound, good advice.

RO/DI always.

Salifert

Been doing water changes.

Two Tunze Stream 6060s plus a Little Giant 3MDQ-SC return - enough flow for an 80 gal?

Peppermints didn't work, neither did a Copperband. Berghias are still an option.

650-IS350
03/08/2007, 02:33 PM
I've read somewhere that sometimes rocks DO emit phosphate into the tank, although undetectable to the test kits is enough to continue growth of unwated algae

Shnabbles
03/08/2007, 02:35 PM
Try more pepps they are hit and miss.

rustybucket145
03/08/2007, 02:45 PM
Do you have any hermit crabs?

How old are your bulbs?

At this point it sounds like pretty much everything except the fish is pretty much a loss. I would consider cutting the light schedule back to 4 hours a day. This will pretty much shut down the algae. Crank the skimmer up during this period and hit it from both ends. As the algae is starving from light depravation it will also be starving from nutrient depravation. Depending on how well it works I would keep this up for at least a month, maybe more. During this time period add some blue legg hermits if you don't have any already. I would say 40-60 of the smallest ones you can find. Some Jumbo mexican turbo's would also be helpful (2 or 3 only). As the algae begins to disentegrate your skimmer will pick up most of it so be sure to keep it clean. Also remove as much manually as possible during this time with a turkey baster.

If you do as I have stated above the algae will subside. Will it be overnight? NO! Did it get this way overnight? NO! It's going to take some time and some adjustment. This is pretty much in essence 'cooking' your rocks but doing it inside your tank. If you have any expensive corals you may want to find them a foster home during this time but you will be surprised how many of them will make it just fine.

ALSO: Add a fuge with Chaeto! This will absorb any nutrients which would normally be consumed by the nusiance algae. Be sure to check your RO/DI TDS readings. There is a chance you are introducing bad water.

rustybucket145
03/08/2007, 02:49 PM
As for the Aptasia, get a syringe and a bottle of kalk powder. Keep a bowl of it by the fish tank, just add water to make a paste and zap them everytime you see one. You will be surprised how quick you can get the population under control in as little as a week or two with just a few minutes everyday.