PDA

View Full Version : overpriced light units

tangyreefer05
03/08/2007, 10:11 AM
Is a MH and T5 setup really worth $1,219.95. Sure buying a light off ebay might be risky because of warranties and quality, however buying a maristar from reefgeek for 1300 seems insane. I guess I am wondering what you all think about the cheap retro kits vs the high dollar ones like Sunlight Supply. Is it really worth that money?

Here are two lights I found for a 90g reef:

ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/48-760W-Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Light-New_W0QQitemZ130085928029QQihZ003QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) - US $379.00 free shipping

reef geek's (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Metal_Halide/Sunlight_Supply/MariStar_Fixture_(MH_&_T5)/48_inch__Maristar_Kit:_2-250W_MH_&_2-54W_T5_HO_-_Black_by_Sunlight_Supply) - US $1,219.95 w/o shipping.

jeffgp
03/08/2007, 10:13 AM
i got my used PFO diy light for 200
i would not spend that kind of money on a lighting setup

at least not yet

tangyreefer05
03/08/2007, 10:15 AM
$200, nice, did you find that on the forum? How is it working

luke33
03/08/2007, 10:16 AM
The ebay light is a odyssea fixture, you could get it from aquatraders alot cheaper, or cheaper. The second, well, i personally thing the lighting is one of the reasons people get out of the hobby. I've been racking my brain for 6mths now on what kind of lighting i want to use for my 125g. Is it t5's or mh's......idono, but i am not going to spend that kind of money. I'm thinkin 500max, and i still think this is a rediculous amt on freakin lights.

kfowler
03/08/2007, 10:19 AM
Depends on how much the person is willing to spend. I'll equate it to guitars. One cost $185 while another cost $10,000. Both make noise. I like the $10,000 one so it's worth it to me. Others may not.

dhnguyen
03/08/2007, 10:59 AM
DP

dhnguyen
03/08/2007, 11:00 AM
Some people are really into their equipment and has to have the best of the best. And for others, it is a status symbol of sorts.

Kinda like driving a Lexus versus a Toyota.

andyjd
03/08/2007, 11:06 AM
I have a IceCap T5 retrofit from reefgeek, and think its worth what i paid for it. skimping on lighting and skimming is a waste of money i think.

dhnguyen
03/08/2007, 11:18 AM
But... You went with an ASM G3 skimmer, isn't that "skimping on skimming"? :lol: Sorry I just thought your comment was kinda contradictory.

andyjd
03/08/2007, 11:23 AM
:lol: possibly but i dont think it was that cheap and it works very well with a gate valve. Although saying that it has started leaking out of the neck seal recently.

GSMguy
03/08/2007, 11:34 AM
i would say you should look at the current outer orbit hqi/t5ho it has two more bulbs t5 than the maristar and is like 2 or 300 cheaper

dhnguyen
03/08/2007, 11:35 AM
Well... If there's one thing I have learned in this hobby is that the price tag alone doesn't necessarily dictate how well a piece of equipment is built. The ASM skimmers are perfect examples of that---not cheap yet not built very well at all.

Anyway back on topic.

tangyreefer05
03/08/2007, 12:04 PM
I totally agree with how some people want to have the best and will pay for it, and the quality should be there which it is most of the time. However I'm the type of guy who hates spending more than I have to but does not like something that is cheap. Now will the difference in two light setups (same wattages, same bulbs) be that much different that you would say, "i'm happy i spent that extra $800 for this." I just don't see it being much different and especially not worth the price tag, thats my point of view. Guitars, cars can really be worth the extra money, now lights? I don't know about that.

I like to find the happy medium, or if I can, find that cheap priced product that performs almost as well as one double the cost. Bottom line for me and for a lot of people who don't have 4k to setup a reef, finding the light that performs well with a small price tag is our only real option here. Now some guy compared guitars to this and well the difference in a fender squier to a gibson les paul is a really big difference. I went with a $450 PRS that IMO plays better than most gibsons. This medium is what i want, however finding it in lights is harder than I thought.

I'm going to read up on outer orbit.

dhnguyen
03/08/2007, 12:13 PM
To be honest tangyreefer05, I have checked out the Odyssea electronic MH light fixture and that thing is built very well. Even if you were to swap out all the bulbs and replace the ballasts with better brands, youwill still come out ahead as compared with other units. Infact I am going buy one when I upgrade my tank later this year.

tangyreefer05
03/08/2007, 01:41 PM
scary link - http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69516&hl=odyssea

dhnguyen
03/08/2007, 01:48 PM
That could potentially happen to any magnetic ballasts really. The weakest part of MH using magnetic ballasts are the capacitors and they are often the first and most often to fail. This is a fact of life/part of the risks involved when you're using magnetic ballasts. I have seen melting/exploding capacitors from other vendors just the same.

The new Odyssea fixture you posted from that ebay vendor is the electronic ballast model so no more fire hazards from melting capacitors. Like I stated above though, even if you replaced the ballasts with a better brand, it will still be cheaper than getting a fixture from one of the better known vendor.