PDA

View Full Version : String Algae?????

1gideon
03/08/2007, 04:07 PM
I'm new to saltwater and my tank (125) is cycling. I have been through a couple types of algae and now it appears I have string algae. I read it is a dark green but this is stringy and brown. Any help out there?

Thanks
Gideon:confused:

zoomfish1
03/08/2007, 04:34 PM
I have not heard of string algea. Could it be hair algea?

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum. It has, contained within, an algea identifier section. Look it up there to see what you have and re-post. Plenty of help here.

bertoni
03/08/2007, 04:41 PM
A picture might help. Is this a slimy sort of growth, or does it have more solid structure?

1gideon
03/08/2007, 04:45 PM
It looks like rough string (hair) that floats. also some attached to live rock in "bunches" for lack of a better word. The previuos guy said a sticky thread at top of forum but I'm not sure what that means

THANKS!!

1gideon
03/08/2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry, I should not have said floats, it is attached to live rock but floats from the attached spot.

Sorry

Thanks

zoomfish1
03/08/2007, 04:57 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

Here is the link to the sticky thread at the top of the forum. I forget that not everyone has navigated thru all the forums.

bertoni
03/08/2007, 05:04 PM
Okay, I'd remove as much as is convenient by hand, and look to nutrient control to starve it out:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

That often eliminates the problem.

mp5150
03/08/2007, 08:04 PM
I have recently been battling a form of Diatoms alge, which looks a bit like this:

http://saltcorner.com/sections/guest/algaepage/Brown/diatoms/Diatoms2.htm

I can completely clear the tank and LITERALLY two days later the cand is completely covered. About ready to shut her down.

zoomfish1
03/08/2007, 08:21 PM
You need to attack the algea at it's source. Don't shut it down. First, consider your fish load and cut down on feeding. Every other day to start. Just what they clean up in a few seconds. I read somewhere many years ago that they only need a piece of food about the size of their eyeball.

Next, put a phos filter of some type in your flow, whether the filter cartridge (if you use one) or sump if you have one.

Next, a question. How long since you change your PC bulbs. If over about 8 months, that may be the cause, or at least, some of it.

Next, there are snails who will clean up the sand quite a bit. What kind of cleanup crew do you have. If you don't think it's enough, add more.

Finally, without knowing your water params, do a 20% water change every 5 days.

If you can get your nitrates and phosphates down, the algea won't have anything to eat and will die off. It took a while for the conditions to be ripe for algea, ait will take a while to cure the problem. Be patient, it will be OK.

Lishoop6
03/08/2007, 08:21 PM
get an emerald crab they usually do the trick

mp5150
03/08/2007, 08:30 PM
Well I have a 16 gallon with only one clow fish in it, he doesn't eat so much. I have a powerfilter with a phos pad in it that gets nasty after about four days or so...I also have a BakPak 2 which I just emptied out the biggest one week fill ever. i just replaced my compact bulb last month. I have the nass and ast snail combos (not sure of the spelling) but maybe not enough of them. And I am a very faithful waterchanger. I change about three gallson a week. THis is why I am stumped. I think that I have been doing everything right. I guess this is just the nature of the beast. Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

zoomfish1
03/08/2007, 08:41 PM
No problem, it does sound like you're doing things right. I guess, at this point, just give the good things you are doing time to work.

Normally, diatoms will go away on their own after a couple of weeks. Hope it happens that way for you.