PDA

View Full Version : what is this

quads4_life
03/08/2007, 06:39 PM
I have tried and tried to find out what this I think it is some type of Zoanthind but I am unsure. I was finally able to get a good pic since a very large snail knocked it off and it landed next to the glass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/quads4_life/100gal%20reef/coral.jpg

quads4_life
03/08/2007, 08:38 PM
wow I have a coral nobody knows about I got to think of a name for it................?????

Anybody

sir_dudeguy
03/08/2007, 08:55 PM
eh, hard to tell cuz the pic is kinda blurry, but to me it looks like regular button polyps. Maybe moon polyps but i cant tell. To me they look more like my moon polyps because the skirts are a bit more spiky and the center is a bit green glowy looking...

quads4_life
03/08/2007, 09:00 PM
They are about a 1/4" in diam. and yes under my 14KMH they do glow alittle green in the middle. They really glow under my blue LED nocturnal lights. I have had them for about a year I got them with some LR rubble and they have survived under my basic strip lighting that came with my old 55gal.

sir_dudeguy
03/08/2007, 11:49 PM
ya sounds like buttons or moons for sure to me then. Have they by any chance faded in color over time?

quads4_life
03/09/2007, 07:40 AM
Not really infact since I put them under the MH they have kinda brightened up

quads4_life
03/09/2007, 07:43 AM
If a crab walks over them they shrink into the rock they dont leave a polyp like a zoa just like a big mat covering the rock

sir_dudeguy
03/09/2007, 10:06 AM
Ya i was just wondering about the fading thing because my buttons really faded big time under my pc lights. I was never sure if i had to spot feed them or not, and i never really did consistantly so that may have been why mine faded. idk.

But they're a sort of mat you say? Is it like a solid mat or is there sort of gaps in between some of the polyps at some places. Either way i still think its what i said before...my big button colony was pretty solid (the mat i mean) with very few gaps here and there.

Not sure how the moon polyps grow tho, because when i glued mine in...i didnt glue them all in the same spot. I put them all on one piece of branch rock, but i spaced them out a lot, so theres already gaps. Now i cant tell which ones i glued or not, but they seem to be starting to grow a sort of mat thing.

quads4_life
03/09/2007, 12:06 PM
They are in sort of a solid mat