PDA

View Full Version : So... filter sock?

Drue
03/08/2007, 08:18 PM
Should I use one? Where can I buy them? Are they a necessity? Pros? Cons? Thanks.

Capt_Cully
03/08/2007, 08:21 PM
I think if you have a sump you should definitely use them. Buy at LFS or Marine depot or other online source. They help rid water of detritus before you skim. Change it every 4-7 days or as needed. Wash in hot water with bleach, then 2 more times with just water and air dry to let excess bleach evap. Works great. I won't run my tank without them.

Con's would be if you don't change it enough, it will leach excess nitrogenous waste to your water.

mosesbrown
03/08/2007, 08:25 PM
Is the sock different then a media bag? Like you might use for carbon etc...

bbehring
03/08/2007, 08:37 PM
yep they are 2 different items. There is a filter or sump sock which is placed into the sump so that the overflow (in coming) water flows into and through the sock. The filter sock looks like a condom. Most filter socks have a plastic at the top that the sock fits over. This provides regigity so that the outer edges stay open or out allowing the overflow water to come into it. The media bag is a mircon bag that you can put carbon or resin into. It looks like, well a bag with a draw sting on it. Most good LFS carry both items. Also check on line at DR's F&S or That Fish Place or MD.