PDA

View Full Version : Tank Moving/Assembly Question

jeffltodd
03/09/2007, 01:14 PM
Ok so I made the move (1st of 2). I moved my 72 gallon to a friends house and will move it again to my new location when it is complete.

I did not do the initial set-up, so I am not sure about this...

In my tank, I have an overflow box in the corner with the hose that goes down to the sump. Another hose comes from the pump to the return.

The hose that comes down to the sump is leaking where it connects thru the bottom of the glass. Space is tight, so it is really hard to work here. I thought everything was good initially when I tested, so I added all the water and then found a small leak. Not being able to leave things alone, I tried tightening the connection and then the leak got bigger!!

I have it now, so it is again a small leak. My questions are this:

1. What can I used to stop the leak? Plumbers putty around where the pipe and glass meet?

2. How would I get into that tight space? I cannot remove the pipe because it is glued together, but I need to be able to tighten it snug against the glass.

3. Anyone encounter anything like this before??

Help!?

BTW - if you want to know how to move a tank, I will notarize it in steps... based on my experience.

FZ1Rider
03/09/2007, 01:41 PM
probably the washer. That's why when you tightened it started leaking more. Tighther is not allways better in this case. The washer is being forced through the hole because of the pressure. lossen everything. Make sure the washer is still in ok shape. Tighten just until it gets a bit harder to turn. Test, then do like 1/8th turns from there on in if it still leaks.

Peter

jeffltodd
03/09/2007, 02:16 PM
I'll check it out this weekend. Like I said, it's a small leak now and I don't really want to disturb things too much. I may wait to completely investigate and fix it until I make the final move.

How about something like plumber's putty?

Or, is there a product that will dissolve the pipe glue so I can replace the washer?

FZ1Rider
03/09/2007, 02:54 PM
plumpers putty hasn't worked for me on leaks like that (I have one on the connections to my RODI. Every week I pop the buble it makes and a whole bunch of water ends up on the floor. Then I squeeze it again and on we go.

I don't know about the pipe glue.

You could caulk it around the bottom when you take it down next time if you can't get the tubing off. But I'm pretty sure it's a washer issue. I had the same problem when I first assembled my RR but I caught it before I filled it.

peter

loves saltwater
03/09/2007, 07:09 PM
I have had good luck with 2part epoxy putty that I bought at HD for small leaks. It is a marine type putty that will even set up under water. It comes in around tube you cut off apiece and need it together until it is a light grey color then apply it to the leak quickly because it will set up in about 5 minutes or so.

bllfish
03/09/2007, 08:51 PM
Speaking from first hand experience - If you want to eliminate this problem now and in the future, pump the water out of the overflow, remove the overflow hose from the tank to the sump.
Carefully cut a larger hole around the bulkhead fitting so you can get pliers up there to tighten it. This WILL happen again.