PDA

View Full Version : To glue branch coral to base rock with shrooms on it

hrdneglcry
03/09/2007, 04:51 PM
I have some mushroom corals that are attached to branch coral. I want to make them much more stable by glueing the branch coral to a rock.
I do not know what kind of glue to use. Both pieces will probably be wet. And I do not know which glue will best adhere the branch coral (tonga rock) to the regular piece of base rock.
My LFS sells a coral glue for $14.99. I have not asked about it. I know that many fellow reefers use super glue, but I do not know if Super glue will hold the tonga rock against the base rock.
I do not know how much Super glue to use, or how long to let it dry. I guess I need to know if Super Glue will work at all in glueing two wet rocks together. The Tonga is about as thick as my finger, and only 4-5" long.
I just want to glue it to a heavier rock to prevent crabs from moving it.
Any, and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

chrisstie
03/09/2007, 07:52 PM
I would recommend trying a 2 part clay type epoxy- usually a green and white tube (can find it at a hardware store or aquarium store) .. mix it together until it becomes one color .. put stuff where you want it (takes a little practice) and it should harden in 30 mins

hrdneglcry
03/09/2007, 08:32 PM
Ok thank. but does that mean that i have to leave my coral out of the water for 30 minutes? and the rock is wet. Is this stuff going to bond to wet rock?

BigScott
03/10/2007, 10:04 PM
super glue gel..an yes it will.. if ya take a paper towel an dry off a lil bit..

scott

FLricordia
03/12/2007, 04:47 AM
Duro superglue gel found at walmart in the paint section will work on pieces that size. Take the end to be glued and dab it dry a bit (don't have to dry the base rock in the tank unless you already have it out, but the glue sets up faster underwater and is completely safe for corlas, fish, inverts) apply the gel superglue, a good sized dollop, cranberry to grape sized, and press the end onto the rock you want it attatched to.
Now work it back and forth untill the superglue is sticking well to the base rock and hold the piece inplace for about 45-60 seconds. Make sure you keep your hand steady by resting unused fingers against rock, glass, whatever, and presto!
Your new branch is now glued in place.

billr
03/12/2007, 05:31 AM
Super Glue gel works great too.................